RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone dumped a horse in a very large cow pasture where we train in southeast Alabama
The farmer has given his wife a few days to find a home or he will have it shipped for euthanasia or worse.

This is a young guy (yearling?)...may or may not be gelded. I think he is a stud colt but someone else thinks gelded. No one has been quite close enough to know for sure.

He was left wearing a halter and is shod on front.

These are my observations from 10 to 100 yards.

This horse is fairly well built. Nice profile, stands square, nice angles, short coupled, fine to medium bone...maybe 15.2. He is a little narrow in the chest but has an ok neck and decent head, nice eye and expression. Remember, he has very little muscle so not sure how he would look if fit.

He has a lovely trot-airy and elevated. His canter/gallop is pretty wild as he is usually leaving in a hurry, so not sure what that would really be, but he is extremely agile.

Breed? Well, he has a Arab tail carriage but not an Arab head,..does not look at all like a QH. I am thinking a mixed bag....maybe something gaited in there somewhere.

He is a chestnut but is shedding out much lighter..has some black in his mane and tail....a little dark stripe up his back.

This guy has had exposure to lots of things...he is bold, bratty, fearless and lonely. He has no fear of guns, dogs or vehicles. He came to drink out of a dog dish on the tieout (no dog there at the time) but very close to the trucks. He will trot or canter within inches of a vehicle and stick to it for the whole ride out. He will come close enough to eat out of a bucket but can and will strike out with his front feet . He has charged the running dogs a few times.

Anyway, I fear for his future.

If anyone has any ideas call me and I can put you in touch with the farmer's wife. Time is short.

Crossposts welcome.

Medie-334 355 8296.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Hope you post up a happy ending here...

Doesn't sound like he has access to water other than dog dishes? Isn't there a rescue that would at least make sure he has food and water and try to put him in a home?

Judy

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
This is a true HSUS success story right here. Vets have to lock pens at night, and I have even heard of horses being put in other peoples trailors at livestock auctions. No place for old crippled horses to go, so young fit horses don't have people wanting them either as horses are expensive to keep.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most states have a horse rescue. Google to find out if any are located near enough to help. I hate to think of this guy ending up going to a slaughterhouse. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No slaughter houses in the us. Thus the problem with abandoned horses. No one likes to think of a horse going to a slaughter house, but with out them many horses are being abandoned like this guy. Happening all over rural areas. Used to be ponies for kids would be worth a few hundred dollars, now on rural trading post type radio programs you will hear of people first trying to sell, hen trying to give away, even heard a guy pay someone gas money to come get a pony if it was a home with kids.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another thought. I recently helped rescue an off track thoroughbred that was left in a barn, no windows, very little human contact and was on the verge of going crazy. I contacted a local show barn and they took him in, had him vetted, rehabbed him and homed him. Many show barns do this as their way of giving back. It might be worth a shot to contact a few to see if they are interested....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hope he can find a good home. As sickening as it seems, around here, they take unwanted horses to the wild animal park to be fed (live) to the lions. I cringe everytime someone mentions doing so.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
No slaughter houses in the us. Thus the problem with abandoned horses.
Actually I heard that it was just legalized again in the US just a few weeks ago. I do understand that the ban on it (and the economy) has had an adverse impact on the price of horses. Apparently the price of a horse at the slaughter house always provided a floor for the price of horses so a healthy horse that could be ridden would be worth that plus whatever. I have a friend who went bankrupt and is going to lose his house & land and needs to get rid of several good riding horses and you just about can't give them away.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
As sickening as it seems, around here, they take unwanted horses to the wild animal park to be fed (live) to the lions. I cringe everytime someone mentions doing so.
Holy cow, now that is barbaric. No domesticated animal deserves to be eaten alive just because nobody wants to care for them. If they are going to feed them to lions they should at least put a bullet in their brain first. Don't tell me the lions won't eat them if they are already dead.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If the cow pasture is the one (actually one of three) I'm thinking of there are ponds in it so he has access to water.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I hope he finds a home soon. :(

Everything seems so tough lately. The sad part is I'm sure the people who 'dumped' him knew even this way he would be better off. I hope things improve for him!

·
Administrator
3,873 Posts
Here are a few horse rescue organizations in Al. Maybe they will be able to help.

Dusty Trails Horse Rescue, Inc.
P.O. Box 250191
Montgomery, AL 36125-0191
Office: 334-284-2122
Emergency: 334-430-1333
Fax: 334-239-4802

CC Farms Horse Rescue
Colbert County Tuscumbia, AL 35674
CONTACT: Cassey 256-627-6064 Can caII or text; Chris 256-810-9276.

Reins Of Life Youth Ranch
Fayette County 15200 Co Rd 63 N, Carbon Hill, AL 35549
CONTACT: Frieda PaImer 205-495-0017; Jeff Martin 205-522-3944

Smiths Equine Rescue
Mobile County 11700 Wheatcroft Rd E, GrandBay, AL 36541

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Vicky..I forwarded to the owner. I know the ropes re rescue at home...feel a bit lost here.
BTW..he has a spectacular canter...wonderful natural lead changes...watched him in action today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.