RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that haven't tried you should! A few weeks back I took Kona to the UKC Premier in Kalamazoo,MI. It's UKC's version of Westminster with performance events added. We went mainly for conformation but ended up dock diving. To my suprise he took 3rd in the Senior Division Finals with a 15'7 jump which was his personal best ( beat that last weekend with an 18'1) .. It's a great release for the dogs and humans!! I highly recommend everyone give it a shot. We had a great time and even got a win in the Champions Class at the United Retriever Club specialty

Dockdiving.jpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds fun! Congrats !

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nicole, I was at the Premier too!!! Sorry we didn't get to meet. My golden Gabby was the winner of the Senior Elite division, she jumped a new personal best of 19'2". Dock jumping is a lot of fun. We used to do it more but I think Premier will probably be our only event this year.

Did you do any other venues? We did agility with my golden and my husbands lab, and I did novice obedience with my golden. I had a great time at the Premier though I honestly thought it was the poorest run of all I have attended, and I have been to quite a few.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice job Nicole and Ann, congrats!

btw Nicole I plan to root for Kona tomm at Hambden, best of luck!!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
great job, congrats!
We love, love, love dock diving! It's a blast.
Last year at premier I tossed his bumper completely over the pool and it landed in the stands at the end. Didn't phase my boy at all, he swam to the end of the pool and tried to climb out to go get it. Luckily, some kid grabbed it and threw it back in the pool for him.
As we were walking back to our chairs, some guy walked past me, grinned, and said, "force fetched??"

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
How do you teach for that event? Does the dog have to grap the bumper in the air??? I have a young pup that could do this and be good. Interested in hearing how to get started?.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats to both of you, and you both would have gotten along great, having met both of you at various times, both of you have the same passion for your four legged children

·
Registered
325 Posts
I tried it for the first time this February with Bodie, never done it before and never really practiced and got 2-1st placed finishes (18.4 feet) and 1-2nd place finish (18.1 feet)
and we tried the Speed Retrieve and got 7.2 seconds and made it to the finals and finished 4th overall, it was fun, there is no telling what he could of done if we where doing it everyday?

CONGRATS BTW!!!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't think you really need to teach for it, Mary Lynn. You just get out and do it! It's one of the beauties of the event! The only problem is it's really, really hard to find events anywhere.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup just sit and throw lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Dock diving I saw last year, had a throwing bumper suspended about 10-15 feet above the center of the pool, on a inverted U shaped pole setup that was outside & extended across the pool. The dogs had to leap high & grab that suspended bumper, then they landed in the water.

I didn't know some of these contests you got to just throw the bumper.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
that's extreme vertical, and I do NOT care for that. Way too much potential for the dogs to get hurt. A lot of them twist strange while in the air, and quite a few come down on their backs. No thanks, we'll stick to just throwing the bumper!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't know it is any higher than any other performance event dogs do. They run hard in field, agility, flyball etc one bad step is all it can take. I have known a couple who have gotten hurt with knee injuries, but my first dog I played this game with started her dock jumping career after her first TPLO surgery. She missed the end of year finals due to needing her other knee done which was because of wear and tear and age related issues had nothing to do with dock jumping. She was 8+ when she started her career. We didn't know it existed before that.

Extreme vertical does in my opinion definitely increase injury risk. As Barb stated they do wierd things in the air trying to get the bumper, and the higher it goes the more dogs land on their back. My biggest concern though is the depth of the pool. The dogs are coming straight down after a grab. I worry 4' is not deep enough to stop them from hitting bottom hard. A friends dog who set the first world record in EV, has a seriously messed up back now.

Dock jumping is fun. I just don't take it too seriously. My dogs like it so we do it when we can.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have a dog that went off the dock kittywampus and messed up his hock for awhile, I thought it was his cruciate.... I don't jump OP or any of my dogs anymore....they can jump off land all they want

·
Registered
40 Posts
We love dockdiving, we do mostly the long jump (Big Air), you earn titles, rankings worldwide, and we will be going to the Regional and World Championships this year with our 7 year old. It's a lot of fun, easy to get started, and takes no special training for the dog or handler. Other nice thing, is there isn't a certain way you have to jump your dog. As long as you throw something that floats and it's edible and you don't push your dog in, you can bouce a ball, fling a frisbee, your dog can sit/stay, he can just run crazy, doesn't matter! Only thing they judge is
distance! We really like it.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Today Chief and I tried dock diving. What fun!! It was a little humid. The event was UKC held at the St. Clair County Fair. My pup surprised me and his farthest jump was 19.4 feet. He loved it!!We will be doing more.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It really is a blast, glad you had a good time Mary Lynn!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts