RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drives a 1996 ford windstar and yesterday, the transmission just quit. Cruising along just fine one second, then, without any sound or jarring or anything, the tach peggs and yet no power to the wheels. Just like a shear pin on an outboard. Anyone else experience anything like this?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Are you sure she didn't rupture the Transmission line? I lost a tranny line on my 1997 olds cutlass and tach peged, and no power! Luckily, I stopped and called for a tow before trying to drive it very far. Fixed line..good to go.

Earlene

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife drives a 1996 ford windstar and yesterday, the transmission just quit. Cruising along just fine one second, then, without any sound or jarring or anything, the tach peggs and yet no power to the wheels. Just like a shear pin on an outboard. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Pretty sure as there was no fluid on the ground and the dipstick showed over full if anything. (Thanks for the suggestion this is really crazy).

·
Registered
807 Posts
check and see if the bolts came out of your flex plate where your converter bolts to it or it could be the flex plate broke where it bolts to crank shaft

·
Registered
834 Posts
well, what happened?
did you get it to the shop yet?
Agreed Ken,

HPL you can ask internet questions but, to find out what really happened "somebody" needs to get their hands dirty and diagnosis the problem.

Fluid is full and no signs of trouble before failure. It sounds like a hard part failure. Which part??

Axle?

input shaft?

Output shaft?

Pump failure?

If you have no movement forward, or reverse, and the fluid is full (and not burnt) It's NOT a hydraulic problem it's mechanical.

Randy

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I think loosing your trans is common in a Windstar!!!:( especially at a certain mileage. Like we say about the dogs-take them to the vet. In this case the shop-not the topic for the internet to discuss!!!:)

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am having it dragged to the trans shop today. Went in and spoke to the guy before I posted and he seemed pretty sure that it was the shaft that connects to the torque converter. Made sense to me, but was checking to see if anyone else had had the experience since this guy made it sound relatively common. My regular repair shop gave me the, well, could be anything. Bring it in and we'll strip it down and see. Getting to the trans on a front wheel drive vehicle is no laughing matter and the so there is significant labor involved just in the exploratory. Hope the transmission guy is correct as his estimate was about $750.00 and can't imagine my regular mechanic coming out any less than that. Transmission shop has 12 mo, unlimited mileage warranty, so...........

Will let ya'll know what it really is when once it's apart.

HPL

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a call from the trans guy today and apparently the shaft that goes into the torque converter passes through to the pump and snapped off in the pump ruining the pump too so added about $250.00 dollars to the bill raising it to about $1000.00!! Still cheaper than a new vehicle, but not exactly what I would call good news. Ridiculous amount of labor involved in getting to the transmission and then getting it out of the vehicle. Really hate these front wheel drive vehicles with the motor in there sideways. Much prefer my '96 F150 with the 5spd manual trans. Compared to the minivan easy-peasy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
$1000.00 is not too bad if they are also doing a rebuild of the trans. I had a 86 4x4 that was $1200 that was 15 years ago. it lasted just over warranty and blew again. My 96 cutlass I had the bill on that was close to $1700 thank god it was under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts