RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showpost.php?p=952553&postcount=62

Here are the pictures some folks have been requesting of the foster litter we raised for the local Animal shelter. The plan is for the rest of the litter to be gone when I get home today. I sure hope my wife remains strong and does not allow the "chosen one" to remain behind.

If any of you are sympethetic to my plight of having to foster a litter of pups at my home out of a local stray pit found wandering the city streets by the warden, feel free to cast your votes to get the Macon County Animal Shelter to the top of the list in the Rachel Ray Challenge.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83396

It was fun, but I'd like to break down this kennel run in my garage and give it back to its rightful owner. Then a CAR can occupy that space!

Honestly though, it is kind of fun to see a puppy that looks a little different.

Chris

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
And none of them ate your children??? Wait until the media finds out about this!

good job though!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh my. How incredibly cute.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Chris, the pictures and the comments brought tears to my eyes. Ralph was looking over my shoulder at the pics, and he is entranced with the wide eyed one! Wish I could take one, but my kennel is full, sigh......

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My most recent pittie rescue was found running around in the street one cold December morning. She was about 5-6 weeks old at the time she was found. I took her home a few days after she came into the shelter. She was all white with a black spot over her tail and freckled ears. She is 9 1/2 yrs old now and a really sweetie.

They are too darn cute as puppies. The momma dog looked pretty good for having been a stray and whelping 11 pups.

It was very nice of you and your family to take her in and see that the pups had a good start to life.

Dawn

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on Saturday AM.

Bad news: Not only was the "chosen one" still home last night. All six were still home!

Good news: They were all home because the dropoff of the 3 and 3 to two different pit rescues had to be postponed. It was postponed because a private individual, a local with a farm, acreage, one dog and two kids, came by to meet Gyp - the chosen one.

This took time, and as a result, none of the rescues got their pups. The rescues will take 5 pups today. The sixth, Gyp, the chosen one, will remain at my home and will come inside to start basic crate training and family assimilation until Tuesday.

For some reason, pups can leave directly to other rescues without the spay or neuter upfront. (there's some sort of inter-shelter code that guarantees a spay/neuter by the final adoption).

But for a private individual to take possession of a dog, the spay/neuter must be done FIRST. Gyp can not get in to be neutered 'til Tuesday. So we keep him 'til then.

Bus and the other two pet dogs love Gyp.

If anyone wants, I can post video of our first newspaper episode. Just like a few breeder friends suggested, we created an exit route out of the whelping/bed area to a newspaper area. 100% of the puppies paper trained themselves and rarely if ever soiled their bedding.

Gyp, on his first ever visit in the house, went to the back door TWICE to go outside and potty. I think if we can be diligent this weekend, watch him with eagle eyes when he's not crated, and be responsive to his body language, we can have him well on his way to potty training by Tuesday!

On the notion of eating the kids: Any lab or Chessie breeder will tell you that if you go to change the papers in the run of multiple 7 week old puppies, you better not go barefoot or in flipflops. I just got done playing distraction man while my wife changed the papers - barefoot. I got three nips and one puncture. Puppy teeth...:cool:

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts