RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get wireless internet instead of dial up because it is faster. Someone told me there is box placed on your house. I read elsewhere that there is also something that is just plugged into any electrical outlet. Would someone describe wireless internet to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Why do I walk into these things...

There's a couple of ways to go with this. Wireless is available from company's like clearwire that is basically a satellite service. They give you a box that plugs into the wall and you plug your computer into it and there you go. Internet surfin. Most people though expect "wireless" to mean they can walk around the house with their laptop and surf the net without any cords attached. This requires a wireless router, that is plugged into either a wireless service like Clearwire or plugs into their existing DSL/Cable service and then your laptop will detect the signal put out by the router. My suggestion is find the best available service, factoring in cost and then purchase a wireless router to plug into it. That way you can be truly wireless with your laptop. If you have a desktop, then wireless is irrelevant, as you won't be walking around with it. Written and surfin this from my back deck overlooking the river drinking the sweet nectar known as silver bullet. Ah the ******* life....lets see, where did I put those pants...

/Paul

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Gun_Dog2002 said:
where did I put those pants...

/Paul

Now there is a picture for ya :wink:

Do you have access to cable or DSL ?

I have sprint wireless broadband it can go straight into lap top or as we have a router that the card plugs into allowing more than 1 putor at a time. Its almost as fast as DSL and Sprint says it will only get faster.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
DL said:
I want to get wireless internet instead of dial up because it is faster. Someone told me there is box placed on your house. I read elsewhere that there is also something that is just plugged into any electrical outlet. Would someone describe wireless internet to me? Thanks.
I live in a rural area and previously had Speednet which is wireless off of a microwave tower, however it was pretty slow and you have to have line of sight from your antenna to the tower. I now have Verizon wireless internet service, you can go to their website and see if you have coverage in your area. I have a wireless card that plugs into the side of my laptop. It costs $80/month unlimited access. If you have Verizon cellular service it's $60/month. Cingular and Nextel also have wireless internet service available in various areas.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The only thing available in my area is Direcway. I had to have a separate, $600 satellite and it costs me $60 a month. It's not too bad, but it ain't cheap!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
EdA said:
DL said:
I live in a rural area and previously had Speednet which is wireless off of a microwave tower, however it was pretty slow and you have to have line of sight from your antenna to the tower. I now have Verizon wireless internet service, you can go to their website and see if you have coverage in your area. I have a wireless card that plugs into the side of my laptop. It costs $80/month unlimited access. If you have Verizon cellular service it's $60/month. Cingular and Nextel also have wireless internet service available in various areas.
Sprint is $50/month Whats the speed of Verizon?

BTW Ed I am impressed at your gadget and computer geek skills.

·
Registered
194 Posts
wireless`

DL, what you are asking for is very misleading.
What you want is a faster computer. Ok how do you get it. Sever ways. Starting with dialup, depends on signal strength. (phone line)
DSL in my case I use ATT. they have several speeds. I am getting 6.0mbps. This is faster than cable offers. Keep in mine with cable you are joining others on the cable (only so much wavelength) On dsl with ATT i am told I will not get less than a certain speed. They run a phone line to the home, then you buy the mod, keep in mind you can get one for wireless. If you have a lap top you can hook this up wireless. Keep in mind both computers can be used at on time and so can the telephone.
This cost me about 19.00 a month plus the telephone line(normal cost).
How old is your computer?? No matter how fast your hookup is, the computer is only as fast, as the slowest point in the whole system. Three thing control speed, RAM, Motherboard and Processor speed. You noticed I did not put harddrive, that come latter.

If I can help with more info, I have a degree in Network Management. But I say I am unemployed, I worked for Xerox Corp for 36years and am retaired.

JimS

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Steve Amrein said:
Sprint is $50/month Whats the speed of Verizon?
No Sprint coverage in my area, only Verizon now, it's pretty fast, almost as fast as my DSL at work

·
Registered
194 Posts
wireless

What is Wireless Technology?
101 Guides > Wireless
When viewed as a method of data transport, wireless technology appears very similar to wired technology. You have a piece of hardware, a method of transmission, and connections on both ends that transform data from human-intelligible to transportable and back. For both wired and wireless technology, the range of transmission is an issue. You can't move your laptop 15 feet from the wall jack when depending on a 10-foot cable. Similarly, you can't go out for a jog and expect your in-home cordless phone to keep a connection five miles away from its receiver. But if you get either a 20-foot cable or a wireless connector of sufficient power, you can move your laptop 15 feet away from the wall jack; and if you get a cellular phone, you can go jogging five miles away from your house and still take calls (as long as your service provider has a reasonable antenna set up).

The methods of connection and ranges of service available vary in wireless technology just as they do in wired technology. Home telephones with a wireless handset have a more limited range than cellular phones; infrared transmissions have a more limited range than radio-wave (including microwave) transmissions. Different types of wireless solutions can communicate ten feet, ten miles, or with a satellite in orbit.

OK How is this.

Jim S

If you need more go to www.ask.com just type in your question

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
EdA said:
Regardless of what Guthrie would have you believe, a fossil I am not 8)
As you would like Joe S's bird throwers to believe, eh? :p :wink:

UB

·
Registered
280 Posts
wireless

have motorola canopy with line of sight tower
29.95 a month
up to T1 speed and never under DSL
initial installation $600
can't get charter
can't get DSL
live in country
love no more tied up phone lines and close to 50+ times faster
Trog

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: wireless

rds7015 said:
What is Wireless Technology?
101 Guides > Wireless
When viewed as a method of data transport, wireless technology appears very similar to wired technology. You have a piece of hardware, a method of transmission, and connections on both ends that transform data from human-intelligible to transportable and back. For both wired and wireless technology, the range of transmission is an issue. You can't move your laptop 15 feet from the wall jack when depending on a 10-foot cable. Similarly, you can't go out for a jog and expect your in-home cordless phone to keep a connection five miles away from its receiver. But if you get either a 20-foot cable or a wireless connector of sufficient power, you can move your laptop 15 feet away from the wall jack; and if you get a cellular phone, you can go jogging five miles away from your house and still take calls (as long as your service provider has a reasonable antenna set up).

The methods of connection and ranges of service available vary in wireless technology just as they do in wired technology. Home telephones with a wireless handset have a more limited range than cellular phones; infrared transmissions have a more limited range than radio-wave (including microwave) transmissions. Different types of wireless solutions can communicate ten feet, ten miles, or with a satellite in orbit.

OK How is this.

Jim S

If you need more go to www.ask.com just type in your question
Thats a good answer. I just need to narrow it to what is available in my area. I'm working on it.

$80 a month for Verizon sounds like a lot. I guess that is how the little micro portable computers work. I'm planning to get a new puter also because my present one is kinda old. I noticed some of the new puters have TV tuners in them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DL said:
DL,

There is a technology in development which will allow a telecom or ISP to provide Internet Connectivity through existing electrical wiring. The idea behind this is that you could move or have a computer in every room with LAN/WAN connectivity without wireless or having to run dedicated cat5e/cat6 cabling.

-Goosewa

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I have wireless line of site with a company called CIT broadband. They suck. But its way more realiable and much faster than cellular. 1500k down, 512k up. It's faster than residential DSL, but not cable. Their satellite is about 500 yards from my house on a water tower, so my signal is strong. The only problem is i typically lose connection at least once a day. Which most people would never notice but i'm constantly connected to web servers/databases so i notice when the connection is dropped. I think it's 49.99 a month.

I can't wait until Charter is available out here, or even better - Verizon FIOS.

SM

·
Registered
942 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
As you would like Joe S's bird throwers to believe, eh? :p :wink: UB
UB -

Please leave Joe S.'s bird throwers out of conversations with EdA...at his rather advanced age his heart can not take the stress nor afford to skip a beat.

Just trying to be helpful...it's my nature, you know.

Healthy Heartfelt Helpful Regards,

Helpy Helperson

·
Registered
844 Posts
Direcway is now hughes.net. Sorry.

Guess I had better not complain about the speed or their service compared to some of the other setups.

They are running a huge discount right now on installation.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Joe S. said:
Please leave Joe S.'s bird throwers out of conversations with EdA...at his rather advanced age his heart can not take the stress nor afford to skip a beat.
Not to worry Helpy, Ed could handle (figuratively speaking of course) your bird throwers just fine, especially the one in the peach colored bikini :wink:

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
EdA said:
Joe S. said:
Not to worry Helpy, Ed could handle (figuratively speaking of course) your bird throwers just fine, especially the one in the peach colored bikini :wink:
Well Dayum! All this time I was thinking you were color blind. What other conclusion could I have come to, seeing you in that pink smock? :wink:

UB

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was solicited for an investment in a new company aimed at high speed internet for rural customers of which there are some 24 million in lowly populated areas in the US.

Right now for that rural group, internet access is only available through Dial Up which is painfully slow, and or Satelite up and down. The Costs and complexity of equipment for Satelite up and down is high. (Receiving is easy as in your TV but sending is complex.) Cellular is not considered as a reasonable option for this rural group due to lack of available signals in lowly populated rural areas.

The service envisioned is marketed as Satelite but in fact is Dial up up and satelite down. This reduces the complexity of the equipment in each residence, but provides the advantages of high speed, at a reasonable cost proposed at $49 per month. Most users are not uploading big volumes, and the speed is needed on the download side as in waiting to load page

Any opinions from techies or others on this technology and viability in the market place.

Mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts