RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have never gotten this far on any of my dogs , I have to ask . What is the cost of genetic testing, is it the cost of the kit plus each and every test plus ofa or is it 1 lump sum ?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pricing is generally ala carte, although there are generally test groupings based on breed.https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/pricing/ Also OFA hips and elbows are based off x-rays taken by a vet of your choosing, and CERF is based on an eye exam by a vet of your choosing. so each cost is based on that vets fee structure. Typically in this area hip and elbow x-rays run about $400. Sometimes you can find an eye clinic generally at conformation shows and cost around $35. There is also a reading/recording fee charged by OFA for each test.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You should know the DNA status of your dog's sire and dam, which may decrease the number of things you need to test for.

Pawprint Genetics and DDC are the two services I use. Pawprint is having a 40% off special right now.

Meredith

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already done done hips and elbows (excellent and normal) eyes are normal it's just the testing for the other stuff that I'm talking about. So should I just worry about eic and cnm or do I need to get more testing done.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I've already done done hips and elbows (excellent and normal) eyes are normal it's just the testing for the other stuff that I'm talking about. So should I just worry about eic and cnm or do I need to get more testing done.
A lot of people go by the parentage clear status to determine if they think their dog should be tested for the standard stuff (PRA, EIC, CNM, etc)... Personally, I don't want to rely on the status being determined from parentage, soI send in for the tests... Someone recently posted a company that is doing these for really inexpensive (compared to PP and DDC).. Can't recall the name of the company but I bet if you searched it on RTF you'd find it?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
PRA and RD/OSD are important because they may not show up in an eye exam until after the dog is 7-8 years old—after it has been bred and passed on the gene.

Meredith

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think I just paid around $90 for PRA and EIC. i guess I trust the CNM by parentage and she only has black in her entire line, so theres that. Ill do hip and eyes around the same time.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What does only black in her entire line have to do with anything? Are you talking about the dilute gene? She could still have it.

Meredith

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
EMBARK is doing an entire panel for $159 right now. Gets all of the necessary tests plus. Like 190 issues, most of which aren't relevant but it gets the important ones as well.

They work with Cornell University as I recall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wisdom panel is the brand I use, the premium they offer is $159.00 and they do over 200 tests, including EIC,PRA,CNM and more. I think they might do Dlocus now as well. It’s also accepted by OFA and they almost always have a $30 off promo code running.
It also gives you genotype info, and other traits.

·
Registered
Kingsland's Prairie Morrigan (Choc)
7 Posts
I am in the same boat as you with never gotten this far before. My PawPrint Genetics tests for the standard Lab Panel as well as Dilute test and coat genetics cost me about $240 with the 40% off sale they had. My vet fees for my OFA Hips and Elbows to be x-rayed and submitted cost me about $250. And then finally her eyes will cost about $50 as well from what I understand. So that's my first time trying all of this as well.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Lots of good answers here. Besides hips and elbows, I always test for eyes (CAER exam), CNM and EIC even if the pup's sire and dam are normal, i.e. I don't rely on clear by parentage, One thing I always test for D-Locus, since Nov. 1, 2016. Here are the tests that the Labrador Retriever Club lists as recommended and optional. Labrador Retriever Club Recommended Health Clearances

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
While having an eye certification done several years ago the opthmalogist said “I don‘t understand why owners don’t do the eye certification first? It is the least expensive test and if the eyes don’t pass ... no point on spending the money on hips, elbows, etc. for breeding clearances.“

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While having an eye certification done several years ago the opthmalogist said “I don‘t understand why owners don’t do the eye certification first? It is the least expensive test and if the eyes don’t pass ... no point on spending the money on hips, elbows, etc. for breeding clearances.“
I was more interested in training my pup with the abilities that I had. That being said my next one will have eyes done 1st then the genetics and hips and elbows. I have been an owner of various dogs male and female since the mid 80's that have had eic,, cnm bad eyes in 1 form or another and bad or marginal hips . Yes I bought into very good breedings or so I thought , it just wasn't my time . Wish more people would have been more out front with the breedings that they had done , that is why I am cautious and questioning everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts