RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which genetic tests do you have performed on your dogs, if you're breeding, and do you want to see on pups, buyers?

PRA? EIC? CNM? Others???

And, do you use the same lab for all of these tests? Or do you do multiple swabs and submit them to different labs?

What do you typically pay for each test and/or per dog for all of them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do EIC, CNM, PRA, Cerf, Hips, Elbows & Cardiac. EIC, CNM and PRA are done through those tests websites. All are done through different labs. Cerf and Cardiac tests are done through a vet that specializes in those tests. Hips and Elbows can be done by your vet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for your input Patti. What if one lab did the EIC, CNM and PRA, along with whatever other tests needed, all with a single swab?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Personally, I only have my DNA tests performed at the original labs that developed the test. For EIC -U of M; CNM- Alfort; PRA & RD/OSD - Optigen. There have been too many cases of incorrect results from other labs to make me feel comfortable using them (also would not buy a pup from someone who had done testing at an alternate source)- besides this comfort level, I think it makes sense to support the labs actually doing the research to develop them in the first place. JMO.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Optigen has their spring discount days right now. If you do everything online, you'll end up w/ a 25% discount ($146 for PRA). I'm in the process of doing one here right now.

You just missed the Steamboat breeder clinic if you are in WA (??? -- the PSLRA club has a clinic in Sept too) but there should be quite a few CERF clinics in the next few months.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Erin -I do the same - I stay with the lab that developed the tests. Big D will be having a health clinic in Dallas at the end of August and we are doing the collecting of the swabs for EIC, CNM and PRA. Plus we are doing microchipping, CERF and Cardio cert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts