RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on the different testing for genetics. My male dog that I’m training currently had a wisdom panel test done at his old vet. Is wisdom panel considered an acceptable test? I see everyone mostly uses paw print. Thinking about using him for breeding in the future and want to make sure I get all the correct clearances done.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
What is a “wisdom panel”? Never heard of it.

Meredith
I looked it up - seems to be a lower cost alternative to pawprint and the like.... 160 for a 'broad swath' of genetic diseases and dna profile - coat type, breed type, etc... nothing I saw on there regarding reviews or the accuracy of the tests.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It came with a puppy plan that my old vet clinic offered me. I have another pup to get testing done on now and was debating between wisdom testing again or paw print.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would use paw print you can save with discount code "NEWYEAR" 40 percent off and they mail you the kit and just swab the dogs mouth and send it back
You have the results in about a week after they receive the samples

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I also don’t think that OFA accepts results from “Wisdom.” I would definitely go with one of the more established and respected testing laboratories.

Meredith

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking on the OFA website Wisdom health is a listed acceptable lab for genetic testing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wisdom is less expensive than Paw Print, is accepted by the OFA, tests for almost everything required in most breeds, and also gives you a genetic, rather than pedigree-based, inbreeding coefficient. (Genetic COI is much more accurate than pedigree-based COI.)

Embark Vet is also accepted by the OFA but is a bit more expensive than Wisdom. Wisdom is used by breeders worldwide.

A valuable website when assessing genetic testing companies is dogwellnet.com. This is a consortium of veterinarians, geneticists, breeders, genetic testing companies from around the world trying to standardize testing and trying to insure testing companies are upholding testing standards.

Thoughts on the different testing for genetics. My male dog that I’m training currently had a wisdom panel test done at his old vet. Is wisdom panel considered an acceptable test? I see everyone mostly uses paw print. Thinking about using him for breeding in the future and want to make sure I get all the correct clearances done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts