RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys how about some input on the finer points of a water blind with a point involved. Lets say a multiple land water land water,250yd blind with a slight cross wind 5 mph. 50 yd water entry. The blind is behind the point another 75 - 100 yds, please commit on the whistles and the casts or no casts on getting over the point and back into the water.

Erick

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Ok Guys how about some input on the finer points of a water blind with a point involved. Lets say a multiple land water land water,250yd blind with a slight cross wind 5 mph. 50 yd water entry. The blind is behind the point another 75 - 100 yds, please commit on the whistles and the casts or no casts on getting over the point and back into the water.

Erick
If it were an early dog, I would advise against being a cowboy by not using at least one whistle on this hypothetical point.

If this were a real life scnerio... with a late number, I would let the work of the field set the standard, but would not hesitate to use a whistle where needed and let the judges sort it out.

john

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You didn't say where the dog is in training, his age or experience? Is this a trial or training, did you have a good first series or are you just hanging on gutshot and bleeding?

#1 you have to do the blind, how I'd do it depends on the circumstances and dog.

In training I trend to literal casts, especially with older dogs. In trials, it depends. I'll go from literal casts all the way to a double toot cast, toot, sweat the dog some more and cast over into the water, sometimes all of it with the same dog on the same blind.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
When the dog gets out on a point......BLOW THE WHISTLE
Or, as I've learned, with a fast dog you blow the whistle as soon as his front feet hit the point. Otherwise he's over the point and out of sight behind it before the sound of your whistle reaches him.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
You didn't say where the dog is in training, his age or experience? Is this a trial or training, did you have a good first series or are you just hanging on gutshot and bleeding?

#1 you have to do the blind, how I'd do it depends on the circumstances and dog.

In training I trend to literal casts, especially with older dogs. In trials, it depends. I'll go from literal casts all the way to a double toot cast, toot, sweat the dog some more and cast over into the water, sometimes all of it with the same dog on the same blind.
Pretty much my answer...

Though in training even with the older dogs I try to habituate a "over" off the point. Cause you know at a test or trial they will either give you a angle off the point towards sea, or roll right over the point if you have them thinking off the point out towards water.

Angie

·
Registered
716 Posts
"over and out of trouble or back, and back to your truck" As Howard said is this training or a trial? In training you may experiment with putting your blind on the opposite shore line to teach the dog to come off the point on an angle, just food for thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In training if they are on a good line a lot of the times I will let them roll.Don't want them to get accustomed to stopping on the point.In a test I bring my dog to the line and leave my ego at the truck.I stop and cast off the point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts