RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running some big waterblinds today and starting to realize my eyes are not what they used to be. I turn the big 39 on t he 15th. Where is the best place to order a set of those wide view binoculars? Black and yellow dogs both hard to see between the algae and sun at five hundred yards im almost just guessing to see movement.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Chad,

If you are considering Lasix eye surgery, do it NOW. I waited too long.

The day before surgery I went in for my last pre-op test. A very skilled technician with top of the line equipment discovered I had tiny cataracts. She called in the surgeon for a look. Yep, it meant no surgery for me. Bummer. I was heartbroken. I sat there and bawled; Don squeezed my hand and said, "Time to go home, Mrs. Magoo."

Helen

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Chad

These baby's worked wonders for me. They are called Beecher Mirage. I had problems using the standard wide glasses. It seemed like I always had them down at the wrong time and then the issue with the whistle. I told myself I would try something different. I saw a very succesful old timer using them and she let me try and I have had them ever since. They stay on the entire time and you flick your eyes up when you want to see LONG.

The are EXPENSIVE new, I got mine used on ebay for about 250$. I suggest the 4x20 or 4x25 the others are not wide enough. They take a while to get use to but when it all dials in and you can see your dogs eyes out at 425 on a long water blind it's all worth it.

Good Luck, next month my friend!!!

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Dang Jim, those things look like the spectacles my brother uses for micro surgery procedures

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Xtra...X8KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336925227&sr=8-1

Probably not as good as Jim's suggestion but the Bushnell x-tra wide's have been my go to handling binocs for years.

Lots better binocs give clearer views but x-tra wides give a good compromise between field of view and power. Seems like any higher power compresses the distance distorting your perception of the depth.

Also, heavy on a long water blind is not good.

Shaky hands regards,

PS. Chad, about this getting old thing; it gets worse. Just don't want it to stop.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
My eyes are not getting old, my arms just are not long enough to hold a book where I can read it

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Running some big waterblinds today and starting to realize my eyes are not what they used to be. I turn the big 39 on t he 15th. Where is the best place to order a set of those wide view binoculars? Black and yellow dogs both hard to see between the algae and sun at five hundred yards im almost just guessing to see movement.

You had me worried. There for a minute I thought you were saying Grady is getting old.
39 and your getting old ????? Dude, let me tell ya you aint seen nothing yet. Get used to it cuz it dont get any better. I have parts failing me, mostly my back but the eyes are still in good shape.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I got some Bushnell Perma Focus 7x from eBay for $43 to my door.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Swap dogs with me. Beeps for Trav straight up. Then you won't have to worry about water blinds--you will be drinking beer when they are being run :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think binocular's help with running blinds where the dog is out of sight for 10-20 seconds at a time. If you find a pair that works for that let me know. Got my wide angle perma focus from Bass Pro Shop. Enjoyed the trial at your place, can't wait for the fall test.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Hi Chad

These babies worked wonders for me. They are called Beecher Mirage. I had problems using the standard wide glasses. It seemed like I always had them down at the wrong time and then the issue with the whistle. I told myself I would try something different. I saw a very succesful old timer using them and she let me try and I have had them ever since. They stay on the entire time and you flick your eyes up when you want to see LONG.

The are EXPENSIVE new, I got mine used on ebay for about 250$. I suggest the 4x20 or 4x25 the other are not wide enough. They take a while to get use to but when it all dials in and you can see your dogs eyes out at 425 on a long water blind it's all worth it.

Good Luck, next month my friend!!!

Jim, are those for real? They look like some kind of science fiction movie implement of torture, but if they work I might have to try a pair. I hate fumbling with binocs while I'm handling.

And Chad I would sell my soul to the devil to be 39 again!

John

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Oh, to be 39 again! You are younger than my kids. I have grandkids that are 21.
Helen

·
Registered
699 Posts
Swap dogs with me. Beeps for Trav straight up. Then you won't have to worry about water blinds--you will be drinking beer when they are being run :)
Now that is funny.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ya'll have it all wrong. Just put a Go-Pro on Grady and wire it for real time to your I-pad. Then you can see it all from his point of view zoom in on the orange ribbon and you are home free.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would first suggest that you see an eye doctor (if you haven't) for corrective lenses. I held off for a long time in my late 30's seeing an eye doctor. Always thought "I don't need no stinking glasses !"

Finally got to a point where I couldn't read any more without really working at it. When I finally got a new pair of progressive bifocals, I was amazed how sharper the world appeared.

And like others have said, 39 is still young my friend. My kids are in their 20's.

Steve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep, 39 is still a pup. When you get your new binos and can't remember where you put them and need glasses to read the focus adjustment, then your old:(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
When you get your new binos and can't remember where you put them and need glasses to read the focus adjustment, then your old:(
Now that's funny!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yep, 39 is still a pup. When you get your new binos and can't remember where you put them and need glasses to read the focus adjustment, then your old:(
Ruh Ro..........:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts