RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hope all is well! I have a 2 year old yellow lab heading into her second season of hunting. I was wondering what I should do to help getting used to picking up geese. Last year she picked up ducks and pheasants grear with a very soft mouth but when she got to geese she could barly pick them up and for some reason wanted to shake and play with the goose. This was never a problem with any other birds. How can I get her used to retrieving geese?

·
Registered
164 Posts
My youngest dog was a little slow at it at first too. She is also 2 but last weekend we killed 27 canadas and she retrieved them all perfectly The first few times she was spotty. Force fetching does help, the dokken goose dummy helps in that it gets them used to carrying heavier objects but I found that taking a harvested goose and throwing it around the yard really worked. Let them drag, chew, play etc. The more exposure the quicker they'll figure it out. Keep taking pup hunting and having fun in yard. She will figure it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen lots of folks bad mouth the Dokken goose, but it sure helped me with training my last dog. +1 on the Dokken from me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts