RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for some advice on training my pup to use this blind.

Info;
My pup is 5 months old, and is on schedule to finish Hillmann's Pup Training on the 22nd of May where the plan is to transition to Farmer/Aycock Basics.

I need this dog blind for a specific duck blind in a rice field where we hunt on the levee. He'll most likely be in this blind about 5-10 feet to our right flank b/c we have no dog box on the right side of this blind. They'll be two dogs working from this blind.

Question;
Do you use 'Kennel' or 'Hide' like Mike Stewart uses?
Should something besides 'Kennel' be used?

Do I have to teach 'Lay down'/Down'?
I figured he'd pretty much lay down in it if he wants to and would teach himself to do that. As long as he stays in it, should I care whether he is sitting or laying? Plus in another 6 months and 30 lbs he might not be able to SIT in it right? he might realize that he has to lay down in it all on his own.

BTW, My pup has not been taught to lay down as of yet.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get him in it, have him 'SIT' and then do some Retrieving out of it now.

Thanks in Advance!

Last night I put it together, in the whole 10 seconds it takes to :D and just treated it like I did when he was a small pup.

BOWL IN

BOWL OUT

'SIT' good dog...

Can't wait until he looks like this in it :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would start off by saying kennel.... The dog should go in there PUt it out in the yard and just do some training... I use "place" for everywhere i want my dog when i hunt! Place "ruff Stand" Place "spot on boat" Place "spot in pit blind" Place "lay out blind" Just start switching him over to what ever word you want to use... Phase out kennel for place..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I taught the down command on it's own first so that when in the blind, should you have birds making multiple passes and fido gets antsy and starts to stand up, you can give a down command and the dog will know what its required. For the blind (we use the same one), I brought it into the house first and just left it in the living room while we watched TV so the dog would get accustomed to it. Then I'd start throwing treats into it but left both ends open. Didn't care yet what the puppy did as long as he went into the blind. I was using the kennel command also. Finally after the dog was comfortable going into it, I'd close the one end and back it up against the couch. Throw a treat inside...say kennel and the moment the dog got in and turned around I'd give him a sit command. Doesn't take long and they figure it out real fast. Now, after getting set up and letting the dog out of the vechile, once he sees where the decoys are, he'll find the blind and go into it and lay down all by himself w/no commands needed. They know that good things happen when they're in their blind.....or....it's a good place to nap. :)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
only see red x's
bummer. how are you hosting your snapsnots?
Imageshack. You'll have to wait til you get home :D

I would not put 2 dogs in the same blind, but 2 blinds side by each other.
you don't want um playing sniff and snarl when wings are cupped.
I'm referring to a 5 man Pit Blind. Dog box is on left side near entrance. Right side doesn't have a Dog Box so he'll be in this.

I would start off by saying kennel.... The dog should go in there PUt it out in the yard and just do some training... I use "place" for everywhere i want my dog when i hunt! Place "ruff Stand" Place "spot on boat" Place "spot in pit blind" Place "lay out blind" Just start switching him over to what ever word you want to use... Phase out kennel for place..
I currently use Kennel only for; Into his pen, Into his travel crate.

Are you saying I should make the command unique and exclusively for, (as you stated), the Dog Stand, Ground Force Blind, Boat, Box in pit blind etc?

Thanks

EDIT> Thanks Darin. He's not an inside dog, so I'll just set it up when he's out of his pen and in the yard with the back against the house.

/

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yup i use kennel for into pen into dog crate... Place is for his "place" when hunting... just my .02 it can be anything you want it to be!! You can say Samson and that can mean go to your layout blind! I just like a different command for that!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use "kennel" for the ruff stand, dog blind, crate, and dog box with no issues. I also collar condition with these things as well along with obedience.. seems to work well for me
Is this based off the fact that most likely he'll never be seeing all those things in a line at one time therfore he won't have to choose which to go to?

As in, it should be pretty obvious If I say Kennel and point towards the Dog Blind, he should know where to go, being as there is no Rough Stand or Crate around etc?

I'd surely hope my dog woudn't pass up the Dog Blind and make the 600 yard dash back to the truck to get in his Kennel.....right? :lol:

/

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the low profile ground force for my BL and he’s a lean 75 lbs. They will not be able to sit in it when they are grown, just lay down. That’s about the same time I bought mine for my pup (6mo). I went with the command “Blind”. Started slow, reinforced with CC. It worked out great and he loves it. If it’s popped up around the house or in the garage, that’s where he’ll be. For some reason he doesn’t understand a calendar and September 1st is a long way down the road…

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL I havent ran into that issue.. I'm only using one at a time except for when I have blind on the stand which then its crystal clear what you want.. I will also set up the stand and blind in the yard and alternate casting the dog to either one. But if you have a blind and stand set up at your tailgate you might have an issue but that typically doesnt fit in with my hunting style lol IMO these dogs are a lot smarter than we give them credit for sometimes..

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
It's all a matter of exposure, then repetition, combined with the right stimulus.

Don't overthink it. Figure out what you want and what will work for you, then introduce the concept in a fair, patient, stepwise fashion.

I think you will be surprised how quickly and easily he learns to get in his dog hide on command.

Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote long ago on crate training:

Kennel training offers several options. On the command "Kennel" my dogs will run and jump into my truck from any distance, two yards or two hundred. They’ll also hop into their crate, a canoe, or any confined area to which they’re directed
I still agree with most of what I wrote in that article - link here:

Crate Training Article

Your dog will learn from situational context what he's supposed to do when told to go get in, or on a place, spot, kennel, mat, whatever word/command you choose.

My personal preference: "Place" to direct him to a flat mat or low platform. (examples: a mat, a platform, the bow of a boat, a specific seat or spot in a boat, an area rug in a room) "Kennel" to direct him to any more enclosed spot or up to a place that requires a significant jump to reach the elevation. (examples: canoe, crate, dog hide, truck bed, crate inside truck bed, hole in dog truck, hot tub, etc.)

Just be consistent and patient and he'll get it.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the low profile ground force for my BL and he’s a lean 75 lbs.

I questioned whether or not to go for the smaller one but decided on the regular one b/c he's been at the top of his weight class every month it seems so I assumed he'd end up being a 80 lbs dog.

Hmm I'll have to look up some comparisons.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just be consistent and patient and he'll get it.

Thanks Chris. That's what I'm wanting to do.

The only commands he knows in this context is 'Load up' and 'Kennel'.

If I point to anything I want him to get vertical on, Truck Bed, Table etc. and say 'Load Up' he jumps on it.

Last night I pointed to the blind and thought Kennel, but said 'Load up' just to see what he'd do. Dude jumped on top of this Dog Blind and just sat there lol :rolleyes:

`Place` has a good ring to it, no similar commands sound like it for sure.

/

·
Registered
276 Posts
I didn't read all the responses.

Are you Crate training the dog? If so it should be pretty seemles. At 5 months I would be working on a bunch of other stuff and worry about the dog blind when the dog is more finished up.

Sometimes I think it might be better to be lucky then good, first time I hunted with a dog blind I had never worked my dog on it, simply took her to the field and told her to kennel showed her the blind and she went right in. This dog had been crated every day of her life thought so like I said it was seemless..

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
One thing I did with my current young dog is taught him what "get back" means. What I mean by that is hide your head inside the blind. I did this by tapping him on the nose with my hand and saying get back until he was hid. It took one day of hunting to learn it. By the end of the third day, he would hide automatically when I started blowing my duck call.

I don't make him stay all the way inside until birds are in the area. Generally they like to be able to look around some. It just helps reduce flared birds when hunting in minimal cover.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I hunt from these all the time while I am guiding on dry field hunts in Canada. You will figure out how to get him in, I am sure.
But just as important as getting in, is getting all the way in. I mean ALL the way. Teach him to get that head in and not be halfway out turning and looking at all the birds. On that last pass, you don't want anything to flare them.
A huge percentage of your real hunting retrieves are blind retrieves any way, so don't worry about him seeing all the birds.
Do it all the way and all the way right, right from the start.
MP

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use "kennel" for the ruff stand, dog blind, crate, and dog box with no issues. I also collar condition with these things as well along with obedience.. seems to work well for me
I agree with Matts theory and statement. No reason to use more commands than what is needed. The word kennel to my dog means in or on.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hunt from these all the time while I am guiding on dry field hunts in Canada. You will figure out how to get him in, I am sure.
But just as important as getting in, is getting all the way in. I mean ALL the way. Teach him to get that head in and not be halfway out turning and looking at all the birds. On that last pass, you don't want anything to flare them.
A huge percentage of your real hunting retrieves are blind retrieves any way, so don't worry about him seeing all the birds.
Do it all the way and all the way right, right from the start.
MP
+1 Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts