RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old pup with giardia. Vomitting and diarrhea and wont eat. Have been at vets for 3 days on antibiotics and gastro treatment. Went from a fat pup to a bag of bones in no time. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on encouraging to eat. I'm getting worried. Thanks

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't know how it will affect the Giardia, but we had a pup with bad diarhea, and our vet didn't know what it was. She gave us something called Endosorb or something like that. I think it was a natural type thing to firm things up. Sorry that your pup is sick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not a veterinarian but in my experience with giardia, those are not the symptoms. When we have a puppy with a giardia episode, it displays a good appetite, normal activity/energy level, and diarrhea with some blood and mucous but no vomitting.

I'm sorry your puppy is sick but I'd sure want to look beyond simple giardia as the cause of those symptoms.

rb

G

·
giardia

My pup had giardia at the same age and he did have vomiting and diarrhea he didn't want to eat and lost a lot of weight the only meds that worked was Panocur after the first dose he was better, it cleared up he was vaccinated again the whole series, it came back one time a few months later Panocur cleared it up and he never has had another problem he is now 6 yrs old.
Cindy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ron Beck said:
I'm not a veterinarian but in my experience with giardia, those are not the symptoms. When we have a puppy with a giardia episode, it displays a good appetite, normal activity/energy level, and diarrhea with some blood and mucous but no vomitting.

I'm sorry your puppy is sick but I'd sure want to look beyond simple giardia as the cause of those symptoms.

rb
I agree with this. Of all the encounters that I have had over the years with Giardia, appetite and activity levels were unaffected. My vet normally prescribed a cycle of Flagell(sp?) and they were good to go.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
could it not be parvo? I know someone who had to pups pass away with these exact symptoms and is vet said it was parvo.. Would albon work for giardia. Isnt panacur a wormer?if so why would it help with those symptoms,not a vet just curious.

G

·
What is your vet doing with him?

If he's a bag of bones, I'd be concerned that he's also dehydrated... Are you allowing him to stay there or do they want him to stay there for "ICU" type treatment?

Giardia and Parvo are both bad news for a pup. Parvo I would guess is worse, but they can both result in death...

I hope he feels better soon. :(

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parvo check was done 2 days ago & was negative. He has been at vet for 3 days getting fluids, antibitics, vitamins and everything possible with round the clock care

G

·
mjh345 said:
Parvo check was done 2 days ago & was negative. He has been at vet for 3 days getting fluids, antibitics, vitamins and everything possible with round the clock care
Oh, good. Poor baby... :(

I don't know what to tell you mainly because I'm not a vet but it sounds like he's in the right place getting full care.

What are they saying about his prognosis? Giardia is really nasty and can hit some dogs very hard. Given his age, he may just be having a terrible case of it...

-K

G

·
giardia

Flagyl never worked for my dog. The flagyl would clear it up but as soon as the med was stopped symptons came right back.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a litter a year ago that had the same symptoms and it was coccodia, they got it from a pidgeon, birds are known to have coccidia. They were put on Ponazuril for 2 days and it was cleared up.

Unfortunately when coccidia is on your grounds its always there :twisted:

Hope all goes well with your pup!

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
I recently had a vet show me Forti-flora by Purina and said it works really well and fast with diarrhea (besides the panacur for the giardia). I bought some to keep on hand for my med bag.
http://www.entirelypets.com/fortifloradog.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as getting your pup to eat, I would recomend putting some rice, a can of green beans and a thigh of chicken in a crock-pot. Once it is cooked you can (remove the bones) mash it up real well and spoon feed if need be. My 8 week old went from 14 lbs to 7 lbs and would not eat due to hook worms. :evil: Put her on meds and spoon fed her for a day or two and she came around. 1 yr later she is 80 lbs and he*@ on wheels. :D Good luck!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Amy Avery said:
I'm pretty sure you can kill the coccidia on your grounds with bleach. However, if it is not in a fairly confined area then that might not be feasible.

G

·
HuntinDawg said:
Amy Avery said:
I'm pretty sure you can kill the coccidia on your grounds with bleach. However, if it is not in a fairly confined area then that might not be feasible.
nope, only thing that kills it - according to vet here with me -- is high pressure steam. Can knock some numbers down, maybe, but not knock it out entirely...

learned it in school and stuck with him because we'd had it here. vet that told him is very well-known parasitologist...

G

·
giardia

There also is a product that kills giarda spores in the yard. I had some but its all gone I can't remember the name but i found it on the internet.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Kristie Wilder said:
nope, only thing that kills it - according to vet here with me -- is high pressure steam. Can knock some numbers down, maybe, but not knock it out entirely...
OK, I stand corrected. I have a friend who had a litter of pups, several of which came down with it just as they were going to their respective homes. I thought he said his vet said to treat the kennel and surrounding area with bleach.

G

·
giardia

If its giardia you want to disinfect, I even used this stuff on the groud after I cleaned up the bowel movments. its a Disinfectant containing quaternary ammonium compounds that have been found to kill Giardia cysts at the manufacturers' recommended dilutions. I bought it from a janitor supply store.

·
Registered
325 Posts
HuntinDawg said:
Amy Avery said:
NOPE!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts