RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought a golden doodle. She is 3/4 golden retriever and 1/4 poodle. She doesn't shed much at all which is one reason why I got her. Also she is two of the smartest breeds in one. One question I have is, are they typically huper? Whay age does she begin to calm down. She is the most complicated dog I've ever had. I brought her in from using the bathroom. She played for 3 minutes and out of the blue she jumped on my ottoman and peed. She is 15 weeks old and pretty much potty trained but why the sudden accidents and especially on my couch. Please help. I'm looking into extensive training. Both obedience and behavior

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It is really hard to answer your questions. However, I think you're probably experiencing things many puppy owners do. Is there a puppy class anywhere near you? This is a time when you both need the sorts of interactions you can get in one.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Take her to vet and check for UTI/bladder infection, very common in female pups. Might try adding some cranberry supplement as well. Keep her on a light lead so you can keep her very close to you, otherwise in crate or smaller confined area like an expen while you are figuring out the regression in housetraining. Don't let her on the furniture. Not sure what you mean by complicated, but at 15 weeks, you can certainly be teaching her some basic obedience like sit, stay, heel, recall, etc, and a puppy class, a good one, might help too. But 15 weeks is still pretty young to have super high standards. As far as hyper, well, yes, that is one of the things many experience in the doodle mixes, and getting a good, solid basic obedience will hopefully help you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think training will help the situation but unfortunately with "doodle" crosses, you sometimes get the worst qualities of both breeds instead of the best that you are looking for. Most "doodle" crosses are bigger than either of the purebreds used to create them and also tend not to have the great intelligence of both breeds. They are lovable big dogs that some people really like, others can't tolerate. Almost all will shed AND need to be groomed (inherited from both sides)! UTIs are common in female puppies as you've been told. Best have a vet check to rule that out. Interestingly my 4 mo old standard Poodle puppy has not had one accident in the house since he was brought in from the puppy room. Clean in his crate from day one. So your expectation (as long as you get them outside very frequently) is not unrealistic.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Rainmaker gave you some really great advice. It's often hard with these cross bred mixes, because neither parent comes from good quality stock with a history of solid disposition or trainability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts