RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pup is a 10 week old golden from Australia. He has a good tempt enemy most of the time but recently has started the typical pup biting/mouthing. It's getting to be a problem with pulling on out pants and biting our hands when we pat him.

I have tried diversional techniques by placing the toy in his mouth, tried doing the "ahhh" when he bites and stop playing with him but none seem to work.

Is it normal for a puppy to be disobedient and keep biting or is there something I'm missing? Is he trying to assert his "alpha" status.
This is MY first dog but my fiancé has grown up with pups around her.
Any suggestions would be great!
Tyson

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Pups bite and chew. That's what they do. But you're the boss and you get to decide what
is or is not an acceptable chew object. Make sure pup has plenty of approved chew objects available. Don't allow biting of people or their stuff. A firm "no" or whatever, a pinch of the gums and presenting an approved alternative will eventually get the lesson across.
Just keep your shoes and socks locked in the closet and keep an eye on the furniture. Are you crate training the pup? If he gets too rambunctious a little "time out" in the crate with a favorite chew is better than a battle of wills. Be patient. 10 weeks is a baby and it may take a while before the biting and chewing is under control. (Our 14 1/2 year old lab still has an affection for my socks and if not secured they will get shredded. Nothing else. Just my socks. Dogs.)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
It's normal because they bite their littermates. Some are more persistant than others. I do the lip pinch-upper lips over upper incisors and pinch until they yelp. Get it over with and then give them things to chew. It's not ok to bite on humans.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Bully sticks! Get the 6" long variety in a 30 pack for $31 from Amazon.com.

Easier for them to digest than rawhide and much more attractive to them than rawhide.

Tell pup it's not ok to bite hands or pants and put a bully stick in pup's mouth instead.

Let pup play with other pups and dogs as much as possible under supervision to learn bite inhibition. My 12 week old Golden pup is really catching on to bite inhibition after three - four weeks under the guidance of our 2 and 9 yr old dogs.

Take solace in the fact that they grow out of it if given guidance and chewies and other dog play to learn from. It's like the terrible twos with kids, but faster.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Look at:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48274&highlight=biting

and especially msg #8 for a "formal program" on how to deal with this.

Eric

That thread gives two good ways to deal with biting. Both rely on giving the pup immediate feedback on the biting. I have found that many owners give way too many free bites before they start asking questions. So much of what our dogs do is habit - so the longer they bite the longer it can take to eliminate the behavior.

I start on our litters when they are 5-6 weeks old and they want to bite at my hands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts