RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 yr old golden bitch along the Mioak's line. She & I have accomplished a MH & WCX. She's a great marker, hits the H2O strong, doesn't quit. I'm looking for a darker red stud - my question is, do I look for an FC AFC etc etc or ?
I had a list of FC AFC, AFTCH etc, but was asked why only titled studs.
My response was why not?
I've got an MH, why wouldn't I look to improve the line?

Any and all comments are welcome - I'm a novice at this!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The first dog that comes to mind when you mention dark red is Steve Low's Cody. Such a nice, nice dog. The "2 Jake's" too are wonderful dogs. I hope he doesn't string me up for suggesting this, but the authority (in my book) is Jim Pickering. He really knows Golden lines & is unbiased.

M

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would seriously look at Mike and Val Ducross's male "PUSH" he is by far the nicest running golden I have ever seen. He is not what you would call a dark golden but is a medium for sure. With the year he had in 05 he is hard to beat

Mike LaFond
Baby Duck Labradors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate the feedback!!!

Unfortunately Push is too close - I've checked!
His sire is my bitch's grandsire.

If you have more suggestions - I'm all ears!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
I hope he doesn't string me up for suggesting this, but the authority (in my book) is Jim Pickering. He really knows Golden lines & is unbiased.
M
I might agree with you if I could remember everything that Melanie has told me about Goldens, but age and the booze have killed too many of the remember cells.

goldensrock wrote
I have a 5 1/2 yr old golden bitch along the Mioak's line.
Unfortunately Push is too close - I've checked!
His sire is my bitch's grandsire.
Interesting. Would love to see the pedigree.

·
Registered
573 Posts
What about AFC Steeple Hill Ranger?

He won an big Open I judged last year - he is a fantasic animal.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would look at Whistler's brother Phoenix.
Lots of what is the the Jake's, but closer to Bingo, who I think contributed greatly to these lines-she was suppose to be an awesome dog, and you want the bitch lines to be stronger-also they are both a good size. Their father was one of the nicest goldens ever. Both are also great water dogs.

http://www.k9data.com/siblings.asp?ID=28702

Jackie has been using him a good amount, and I have seen some nice puppies. Both boys are over 9 with no health problems. Both seem to be fertile since I have 11 Whistler puppies here :) . He is a red dog, as is Whistler, and structurally they are as good as they get-great movement, great with puppies and kids and other dogs. Neither are for the average pet owner
as they are a lot of dog.

Another one would be Ranger.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Chances are that both Ranger and Phoenix are in Florida.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Judy Rasmusson owns Steephill Ranger, and I agree with Gerard, he is AWESOME! When that dog hits the water, he body surfs :D I don't know his pedigree though. Karl Gunzer had him for awhile, but he may be back with Judy now. Judy also owns another very nice younger golden that is on his way to being titled, Topbrass Band On the Run - Bandy. I think I like Bandy a little better. Ranger Both are dark red and hard charging, but not as dark as Steve Lowes dog Cody, who is also very nice. Cody absolutely excels in the water. Cody came from hunt tests to a 3rd in a Qualifying with not a whole lot of field trial training. Steve posts here from time to time, he can fill in the details. I have a phone number for Judy, pm me if you are interested.

Kris Hunt

·
Registered
918 Posts

this is Judy Rasmusson and Bandy at a trial in Billings MT last fall.

Kris

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Ask Randy or Kip...... They'll point you in the right direction! :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
479 Posts
You have the same predicament as many Golden breeders. There are only 5 living FCs, and 4 are very closely related to each other, and to your bitch. Many AFCs are also. Beau, Rugby, and Push are all by Bro. Bro is sired by Duncan, as are Eli and Boomer. Bart is by Luke from Bro's full sister.

Steeple Hill Ranger is in Florida with Judy Rasmussen. Beau is in Texas with Karl Gunzer.

Cody is also in Texas with me. He recently produced a very nice litter from Jeff Buikema's Brooke, an Eli daughter and a full sister to the two Jakes. I have a pup from that litter. Cody has 22 Master passes, and, in his very recent FT career, he has three thirds and three Jams in 8 starts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
These days it can be difficult to find a good stud that isn't closely related to your bitch. However, it can be done. A good many of the goldens that are doing well today go back to Duncan (via Cotton x Nell) through Bro and Luke (Apache x Sprite). I owned Nell and never repeated a breeding with her because I was trying to increase the gene pool a little. Apache was owned by my husband and before 'Pache was sold because of our divorce, he was bred to Sprite. That breeding was an outcross that really worked.
I recently bred my Amy (Bro x Butter) to the Gunn's Stanley Steamer. Again, pretty much an outcross.
I don't give a hoot nor a holler about color (although I love those dark red goldens), I've never bred to the 'dog du jour', and I breed what pleases me. I decided on Stanley when I saw him run as a youngster in his first trial. Thankfully everybody got their clearances and I got some terrific pups. They are now 8 mo. old and extremely watery, smart, good attitude, and very nice markers. They zipped through ff, have the single "T" down pat, are pretty darn steady for little ones, and are probably going to be the best litter I've ever bred.
Stanley probably won't give you dark red dogs, (mine are pretty much medium red-gold) but I think you'd be very pleased with everything else.
The Gunns live in Canada, but will be in Northern California soon.
Suzanne Burr

·
Registered
453 Posts
Contact Mickey Strandberg, your female's breeder. Mickey knows her dogs and can give you a better background on your pedigree. Mickey knows her lines and what works or doesn't work with them. PM me if you need her number.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Linda H said:
Hi!

As I am Swedish I reacted to the name Mickey Strandberg, is this person from Sweden or "out of" Swedish descent?
Wouldn't know...... does anyone know Mickey's maiden name?

Also, is there a reason no one has mentioned AFC Caymen's Rum Point Red (Snapper)? I profess to know nothing about golden pedigrees, but I do know that Kent Sweezy owns a young golden out of Snapper that jammed an open at MFTA at the age of 2. Skip was trained by Brian WHite. He then went to Farmer to prepare to run the AA stakes after that, and I just heard he is now with Robertson. I don't believe he has run an AA stake after Brian ran him.... just doing his prep work. But Skip was a hard charging dark red dog. Very sweet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Before "Strandberg," Mickey was a "Kendrigan." I don't know if that was her maiden name though. Maybe one of the "older timers," like Mitch knows.
Andy

1 - 20 of 427 Posts