RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long day for me today, so went for a go to easy dinner. BEER IN THE REAR CHICKEN . SIX bucks total, and with leftovers: soup, pot pies, chicken salad, how can you find a more economical meal?

Not sure who came up with this one, but it is pretty simple. I first saw it on a Paula Dean show many years ago.

Hard to mess up a chicken with a beer in the butt, and meals for days. Very moist, better than rotisserie in my opinion.

The topic came up yesterday about processed food and a why America eats fast food. For some, it is cheaper apparently. Not sure if that is true. Easier for sure. This meal is not as healthy as wild duck or goose, but it will do.

Anyway, thought I would share a very economical tasty dinner. Got rice going, salad, and some zukes. Pretty easy----Reasonably healthy.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Well are you gonna share the recipe???? Or ya just teasing us...

LOL! We do a roast chicken once a week, a la Chez Panisse. We too make the leftovers into soups, pot pies, sandwiches, whatever. Very good way to make about $10 (don't know where you get $6 chickens unless you grow them) cover 3 meals. We usually also have leftovers of the brown rice and vegetables as well to mix with something.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well are you gonna share the recipe???? Or ya just teasing us...

LOL! We do a roast chicken once a week, a la Chez Panisse. We too make the leftovers into soups, pot pies, sandwiches, whatever. Very good way to make about $10 (don't know where you get $6 chickens unless you grow them) cover 3 meals. We usually also have leftovers of the brown rice and vegetables as well to mix with something.

Okay, will share Carol though embarrassed. Way simple. Sprinkle your bird with garlic salt and Lawry's seasoned salt inside and outside the cavity. Then, rub in coarse ground pepper. Put a beer in the rear-- I used a PBR this time! Starting to like em again. Could be a "comfort beer" thing.

Indirect heat, for about two hours 375 on the que. Falls apart and is very tasty.

No chef here, but I like to cook.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Beer in the rear chicken is great. Here's another way rub bird down with real butter and at the top insert some lemon thyme under the skin then pack more butter behind the thyme then cook per instructions above. Its awesome.

Prepared foods are a big thing, because kids and parents are way to busy. I think families should at least eat at the table for 4 days out of the week. Also I don't know where they think its cheaper, the gf and I ate at MD and it cost us $17 hell I can make a steak dinner for that much with all the trimmings.

·
Registered
275 Posts
BEER IN THE REAR CHICKEN... I like the name but down here we simply call em DRUNK CHICKENS!!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
One of Sacramento Valley Retriever Club's judges dinners (cooked by Missy Bell) was Beer in the Rear chicken. My husband came home raving about how great that dinner and how great all their dinners for the judges were. I don't know what Missy's recipe for the chicken was, but I am sure going to ask her about it.

Does it matter what brand beer to use?

Helen

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Beer in the rear chicken is great. Here's another way rub bird down with real butter and at the top insert some lemon thyme under the skin then pack more butter behind the thyme then cook per instructions above. Its awesome.

Prepared foods are a big thing, because kids and parents are way to busy. I think families should at least eat at the table for 4 days out of the week. Also I don't know where they think its cheaper, the gf and I ate at MD and it cost us $17 hell I can make a steak dinner for that much with all the trimmings.
It's rediculous isnt it! I cant stumach ( SP?) fast food but a few times the Wife, 3 kids (8,6,5 yr olds ) and I've grabbed McD's its over $30!. We also believe its important to eat as a family at the table 4x a week atleast

·
Registered
135 Posts
We must have it good here in MN. I can regularly get whole chickens for $3.50 - $4.00 a piece at the grocery. I love cooking and eating chicken this way.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Maybe that's the case for 2 but the way beef prices have skyrocketed over the last month or so, steak hasn't been on the menu near as much at our house. Regularly found rib eyes on sale for $4.99 a pound before. Now their sale price is $6.99 lb. Apparently the droughts from last year are having a huge impact on availability this year?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Maybe that's the case for 2 but the way beef prices have skyrocketed over the last month or so, steak hasn't been on the menu near as much at our house. Regularly found rib eyes on sale for $4.99 a pound before. Now their sale price is $6.99 lb. Apparently the droughts from last year are having a huge impact on availability this year?

Seems that roasts are the only thing that goes on sale anymore.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Please, Please, Please, eat more chicken I could use the income.:D

As someone mentioned we call it drunken chicken in the south. Some other things you can do if you don't like beer taste you can use Sprite for a sweeter chicken.

My favorite though is to drink the beer forget and crush the can so I just have to drink another beer man forgot and smushed the can again so once again I"m forced to drink another beer. I usually remember by the sixth or so.

I then take the empty can and carefully, remember I've had six, make two cuts in the top and fold the aluminum in. I then quarter a small onion drop it in the can and whatever spice I like, usually Tony's Cajun seasoning, add half a stick of butter, sometimes a little Worcestershire Sauce, and fill the can the rest of the way with water. Slow cook on the grill and your ready to go.

Eat more chicken regards,

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Seems that roasts are the only thing that goes on sale anymore.
Yep, and even on sale they're higher priced than they were not that long ago... :-x

Missing my steaks regards...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We also believe its important to eat as a family at the table 4x a week atleast
As your children get older, please keep to that rule of sitting down at the table and eating as a family. It's going to be hard when they become teenagers, but stick to it. They may grumble as teenagers, but years later, will remember and thank you. And they will probably have that same rule with their children.

We raised 3 children -- 2 sons, 1 daughter -- and stuck to that sit down and eat as a family rule until one by one they went off to college.

There are many ways to keep the family unit together. This is just one of them, but it is an important one.

Helen

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
About the only thing fast foods is... it's fast. It is not cheap.

Example: Burger King Happy Meal #1 (burger, fries, med. drink) is over $6. Family of 4 - 2 adults/2 teenagers would cost at least $25. if you could get by with buying only one meal for a teenager.

For $25 mom could make a pot roast and vegetables, put them in her slow cooker (crock pot), and have enough food for 2 family meals.

While it is easier to just spin through the drive thru and pick up dinner, it is also an expensive way to feed a family. In today's economy, it's time for families to drag out the crock pot and put it to use during the work week.

Helen

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
About the only thing fast foods is... it's fast. It is not cheap.

Example: Burger King Happy Meal #1 (burger, fries, med. drink) is over $6. Family of 4 - 2 adults/2 teenagers would cost at least $25. if you could get by with buying only one meal for a teenager.

For $25 mom could make a pot roast and vegetables, put them in her slow cooker (crock pot), and have enough food for 2 family meals.

While it is easier to just spin through the drive thru and pick up dinner, it is also an expensive way to feed a family. In today's economy, it's time for families to drag out the crock pot and put it to use during the work week.

Helen

Here in Washington, families who need and use State asssistance get a EBT card. Works just like a debit card. Folks can go into 7-11 store, buy chips, soda, deep fried foods etc.

I would support welfare food 100% if the EBT card system was eliminated and people got actual "FOOD" items weekly/monthly. Frozen gallon of milk, big bag of local grown potatoes, local eggs, flour, canned or frozen veggies, whole roast or who turkey.

Seeing welfare pay for fast food items in a convenience store makes me sick.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
What are the Dangers from Aluminum Toxicity?

Remember that living cells make no good use of aluminum. Aluminum can make you very ill. Some people are allergic to aluminum and will develop a skin rash (contact dermatitis).

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/heavy-metals/dangers-of-aluminum

Drunken chicken has been around a long time but, not for me!

No aluminum pots or pans and I won't eat anything that has been wrapped in foil much less heated up in tin foil.

To each his own but, beware.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts