RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a lot of discussion here about "cheaper" shotguns. The Cabelas sales flyer came today.

They have the Winchester 101 field grade 12 gauge with 28" barrels and 3 choke tubes for $999.99. Normally 1299.99. It's for our local store in West Virginia so I don't know if it's the same price everywhere or not.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
After a lot of discussion here about "cheaper" shotguns. The Cabelas sales flyer came today.

They have the Winchester 101 field grade 12 gauge with 28" barrels and 3 choke tubes for $999.99. Normally 1299.99. It's for our local store in West Virginia so I don't know if it's the same price everywhere or not.
I was just looking at one at a local large store in Seattle area. Price was $1,600 but, maybe it was as nice of a grade? Going to look into that for our raffle gun for the club.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Same price in wis

·
Registered
250 Posts
John,
I bought a field grade 101 in about 1990 and still use it to shoot upland game (20-30 days year) and trap/skeet. Mine has 27" barrels which I preffred over the 28's.

I love the way it shoulders, swings etc... Only thing I would caution you on is that you have to be vigilant about keeping it clean. I know some will critisize, but if you carry it in the field for a day or two you had better clean it, because on day 3 you may only be shooting a single shot. Where I live you don't get that many chances a doubles (pheasants) so that is the drawback. Seems like it happens once a year. I have a couple friends that had similar problems. All that said i still like the gun, just need to keep it clean.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have the 101 with 27" barrels. Mine is a field grade, came with Winchokes. I bought mine a few years before you, it was my first O/U. They are worth more than I paid new on some of the websites now.

I've never noticed the "single shot" problem. Do you clean the action too?

I liked that those guns had mechanical triggers I think they're called. If the first barrel would fail you could pull the trigger again and get the second barrel Most of the newer guns have inertia blocks that if the first barrel fails you have to flick the barrel selector to get the second barrel. Granted a rare but not impossible occurence.

I'm not buying one. Just passing it along to those that were thinking of getting an "entry level" gun.

Paul, the $1600 gun was probably a higher grade, although Cabelas and Gander Mountain seem to have some crazy sales.

I did buy a Winchester a couple years ago. A Supreme I think. Kind of a Browning/ Winchester hybrid that also has some Berreta characteristics too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 101 also, purchased a year ago and got it for 1400, they had it for 1700, it was a select or supreme, don't remember. It has 26" barrels on it.
That is a great price on them guns!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Happy,

I received a flyer for the Lacey store and and it was on sale there as well. I'm not in the market, so I didn't pay attention to the price, but it's probably the same. I did happen to notice that they called it a "Cabela's exclusive", so I assume that it is a particular version that only Cabela's will carry. Perhaps the wood or engraving is less pretty than standard, but the guts would be the same.

DP

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
John,
I bought a field grade 101 in about 1990 and still use it to shoot upland game (20-30 days year) and trap/skeet. Mine has 27" barrels which I preffred over the 28's.

I love the way it shoulders, swings etc... Only thing I would caution you on is that you have to be vigilant about keeping it clean. I know some will critisize, but if you carry it in the field for a day or two you had better clean it, because on day 3 you may only be shooting a single shot. Where I live you don't get that many chances a doubles (pheasants) so that is the drawback. Seems like it happens once a year. I have a couple friends that had similar problems. All that said i still like the gun, just need to keep it clean.
I also have the 101 with 27" barrels. Mine is a field grade, came with Winchokes. I bought mine a few years before you, it was my first O/U. They are worth more than I paid new on some of the websites now.

I've never noticed the "single shot" problem. Do you clean the action too?

I liked that those guns had mechanical triggers I think they're called. If the first barrel would fail you could pull the trigger again and get the second barrel Most of the newer guns have inertia blocks that if the first barrel fails you have to flick the barrel selector to get the second barrel. Granted a rare but not impossible occurence.

I'm not buying one. Just passing it along to those that were thinking of getting an "entry level" gun.

Paul, the $1600 gun was probably a higher grade, although Cabelas and Gander Mountain seem to have some crazy sales.

I did buy a Winchester a couple years ago. A Supreme I think. Kind of a Browning/ Winchester hybrid that also has some Berreta characteristics too.

The new 101's are being made by FN now, I fiddled with one for 5 minutes or so, looks and feels like a very well made gun.

·
Registered
890 Posts
$999 for a Winchester 101 is a good deal. CDNN has been selling them at that price for a while now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts