RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting my first collar. I was looking into tri-tronics that has one just for upland but its much more expensive. It it really necessary to buy one just because it says "upland" on it? What would be the difference between that on the others?

thanks

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I'm looking into getting my first collar. I was looking into tri-tronics that has one just for upland but its much more expensive. It it really necessary to buy one just because it says "upland" on it? What would be the difference between that on the others?

thanks
If it says "upland" on it, it means it has a beeper function to help you know where your dog is when he's out of sight and to know when he's on point.

http://www.tritronics.com/content/products/comparison-chart/

For the majority of those using RTF, I'd say this feature is un-necessary for our retriever work.

There is no "one size fits all" though, and you may find interesting applications for the features on the collar that others don't do.

Chris

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Upland is my area of specialty, and I don't own an "upland" style collar or beeper of any kind. I use my regular Tri-Tronics collar for everything. the only thing I'll add....if I 'm working with a big runnig pointer that gets out more than a quarter mile is a Garmin gps collar.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Upland is my area of specialty, and I don't own an "upland" style collar or beeper of any kind. I use my regular Tri-Tronics collar for everything. the only thing I'll add....if I 'm working with a big runnig pointer that gets out more than a quarter mile is a Garmin gps collar.
Horses are good too.

Some pointer folks used the beeper as a warning and if the dogs doesn't comply, then a correction.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Horses are good too.

Some pointer folks used the beeper as a warning and if the dogs doesn't comply, then a correction.
That would work if the beeper has a "locate" function, accessible from the transmitter. The much quieter tone function is the normal method for giving a warning, if one chooses to give warnings. No need to spend so much more for a loud beeper when the tone function is already built in.

Horses and ATVs can certainly work, but many areas either are unaccessible to horses or ATVs, or open to foot traffic only. The Garmin makes my life a lot easier. :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That would work if the beeper has a "locate" function, accessible from the transmitter. The much quieter tone function is the normal method for giving a warning, if one chooses to give warnings. No need to spend so much more for a loud beeper when the tone function is already built in.

Horses and ATVs can certainly work, but many areas either are unaccessible to horses or ATVs, or open to foot traffic only. The Garmin makes my life a lot easier. :)
Well...Then...I quess I am showing my age. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts