RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For several years, I have hunted geese on Thorson Pond. The adjacent 80 acres is either corn or beans. This year it is beans and that means fewer geese. However, there is corn across the road to the east and north.

The blind has always been situated on the north shore of the pond. However, the high water the last few years has been creating havoc with the tall pines nearby. Several have fallen and that has resulted in building the blind on the other side of the pond. The metal frame was easy to move and a platform was constructed to support it.

initial platform build

the "dug out" style frame

the initial "cover-up"

after blending & adding willows

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Nice hide Jim. Looks spacious, comfy, and blends in well. Good luck with the Honkers! -Paul

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How each dog retrieved from the blind varied. Last year, Pounce must have thought her name was the answer. When the "window" opened she looked out. It wasn't long before "where they were" was obvious. I caught her in action once.

Posting is a bit different with the new format, but didn't take long to figure it out. There must be a way to reduce the size?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How each dog retrieved from the blind varied. Last year, Pounce must have thought her name was the answer. When the "window" opened she looked out. It wasn't long before "where they were" was obvious. I caught her in action once.

Posting is a bit different with the new format, but didn't take long to figure it out. There must be a way to reduce the size?
So.....I am reading through this thread and a couple others and suddenly encountering a post about earwax (what the ???) and later something about new gun laws. Evidently, it becomes all very obvious that I must read with a filter.....not sure I am going to do that.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

Nice set of 'action' shots for that pup! Good dog he is...

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's a great blind!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The key to hunting this pond is scouting. Too many geese makes it difficult. Therefore, finding out when just a few are likely to "show up" is important. The pond is easy to scout from far away. One morning it was obvious that too many was not good.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I used to do A LOT of goose hunting. Too much, the EX said....;)

My experience was that drizzly days with a good breeze were best, as the flights were always smaller than in nice weather. Next best was cloudy with a lot of wind. During a snowfall was good, but miserable. You had to constantly brush the snow off of the decoys. A pain in a field hunt situation and damn near impossible over water. Bright sunny days were tough if your dekes were at all worn, as the shine was a real party pooper. Got in the habit of rubbing dirt on them in those conditions. that helped a lot.

Your spot looks great for a midmorning to afternoon time frame when you have a crosswind. Wind at your back would be tough, as I would expect them to land short and MAYBE swim into the dekes. Wind in your face could work if you set the dekes 50 yards or so from the blind. that would encourage them to land right in front of you.

You're an old geezer like me, and have hunted that spot for many years, so you probably have it all figured out. Since I don't get the chance to go anymore, I like to talk (post) about it, at least, so please humor me. VERY jealous of you! Hope you have some great days there this season.

Really enjoyed the pictures of the dogs working! -Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts