RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What should Gopher's next career move be?

• Get that last JH leg.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forget the JH, just run 3 more SH and get [i]that[/i] title.

• Bag all this minor-stakes stuff and get her ready to run Master.

• Bag all this HT stuff, get her ready for Qual.

• It DEPENDS!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gopher has had a good week in HT. I have been double-staking her, in an effort to build her confidence with the "uniqueness" of the HT environment. Apparently, it has worked, because she picked up 2 JH and 2 SH legs this week.

Now I find myself in a quandry. With 3 JH legs total, and 2 SH legs, what should I do?

Have fun with this!

Lisa

·
Registered
942 Posts
Lisa Van Loo said:
Gopher has had a good week in HT. I have been double-staking her, in an effort to build her confidence with the "uniqueness" of the HT environment. Apparently, it has worked, because she picked up 2 JH and 2 SH legs this week.

Now I find myself in a quandry. With 3 JH legs total, and 2 SH legs, what should I do?

Have fun with this!

Lisa
LVL -

When Gopher is old and gray what do want to have accomplished with her?

Do that...

Just trying to be helpful...it's my nature, you know!

Regards,

Helpy Helperson

·
Registered
407 Posts
LVL,
I think you nailed it with scrap the JH title and while your at it forget the SH title as you know they both are within her grasp and just go for the MH! :wink: I'm sure you have owned/handled/trained a few Master dawgs before so even that should be a piece of cake and then right on onto those W.C. game Q's! 8)
Sounds like a plan,
Peake - Keep us posted! :D
________
Vaporizer herbal blend

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UD, MH, QAA

I think she can do it, but she is slow to mature, and still has some confidence issues to work out. I'm trying to build her up slowly (think "2-year old Chessie bitch", here). The training at the AA level is already there, she looks long, thinks deep, but doesn't always leave the line with conviction.

I was using the JH tests as a way to simplify things in the field, so she would be able to relax on line. It seems to be working. I just hate to leave a title dangling, with only one leg left to get. Guess I am just anal that way.

I could always go for the pyramid effect, I guess. 3 JH legs, 2 SH legs, 1 MH leg... :D

Lisa

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
First-Congrats!! :)
I'd skip the last JH leg too, but I probably would finish the SH just to get more experience & then come to our test & run Master!!
M

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The JH eliminates one of the passes needed for the SH so basically that last JH leg is in fact a SH pass. Same thing applies to the SH relative to the MH.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Jerry, that's what I keep turning on. She's going to need to run 3 more tests to get the SH, whether it is 1 JH and 2 SH, or 3 SH. Kinda depends on what would benefit her the most.

I gotta think about it. Prolly make up my mind after we train later this week. She's different, this dog. Keeps me on my toes as a trainer.

Lisa

·
Registered
553 Posts
dogs

Your poll was missing a selection:

Retire the dog and buy another LAB!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Either enter both JH and SH at the next test or both SH and MH.

I have one more pass to pick up JH with Ginger this fall. I will have the water cheating straightened out this fall, and we will run both SH and JH with her in the fall. Hopefully in the spring, we will be running SH and MH tests.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Send her to Joe S. along with a check for $50.

Shayne
Sorry, man...Joe S. knows his limitations and Joe. S. don't do no chessies!!!!

Regards,

Joe S. (Thinkin' about becomin' a Rapper so Joe S. can talk about Joe S. in the third person...how's workin')

·
Registered
220 Posts
Joe S. said:
Joe S. (Thinkin' about becomin' a Rapper so Joe S. can talk about Joe S. in the third person...how's workin')
I think you can also talk about yourself in 3rd person if you are an aging, impotent Republican...

Just sayin' (and ducking) :lol:

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Jerry said:
The JH eliminates one of the passes needed for the SH so basically that last JH leg is in fact a SH pass. Same thing applies to the SH relative to the MH.

Jerry
I agree with Jerry. Double stake her JH, SH. If she is tentative, the SH will build her confidence, and then they do better in master. Train for qual and master now.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
KJB said:
Joe S. said:
I think you can also talk about yourself in 3rd person if you are an aging, impotent Republican...

Just sayin' (and ducking) :lol:
How did you make that dog sit still in your avatar????

Shayne

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stop the SH, get the JH...then Field Trial her to FC-AFC... why?

FC-AFC Gopher JH

That would be pretty unique...at least in Chessies. I heard of a lab has that, perhaps even NAFC or NFC with a JH...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Decks had that. Dual/AFC, JH. Was true for several years, until he retired from trials and they finished his MH title. I always thought it was kinda cute. Dual Champion, Amateur Field Champion, and...Junior Hunter.

Well, at least we know he can deliver to hand! :wink:

Lisa

1 - 20 of 24 Posts