Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not shure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying a e collar who here thinks this is a good idea and who has had bad times with these. My dad has been with a tranner when he lived in cali and she used one to train his golden. I would not like to spend to much money but i whant somthing good. If you have one for sell you can email me or post i would like to see pics or have a link thanks again
sharpshooter

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sharpshooter.

How old are you? How old in the dog? What breed? What do you want to accomplish with the collar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
not shure

There are a lotta wrong ways to use an e-collar and only a few right ones. If you are willing to invest the energy, time and money into doing it properly than go for it. If you want to buy a collar and slap it on your dog so you can zing him the next time he doesn't do what you want, then NO I don't think you should get one.

Latisha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

hey it is a black lad sorry i did not say the beafore. I am 16 my goal is to stop her from taking outher scents such as small game and i think a deer im going to spend alot of time trying to learn these that is why i started here and a couple outher places my dad has worked close with the tranner in cali this is my last option thing im not sure im going to use it but i wanted to know if it was the right thing to do. ok here is the story i was in a feild across from my house it is a big mowed grass feild and i was throwing a dummi with phesant scent on it whem out of nowere she darted across the cornfeild on my right she has never taken off from me and she is a good dog so i was going to try some breaking scent but when i took her across the road she tried to take off but i had a leash on her so she did not get to far but when im tranning her alone i cant hold a dummi her a leash scent bottles and gloves or whatever i might take off. The only time i would use it is if she takes off and i know she is not going after the bird.

·
Registered
123 Posts
who is the trainer?

Paul-TEXAS

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm thinking that at 16 maybe you should be spending more time learning to spell so that later you can get a good job that can support your dog habits. I mean I'm certainly not one to worry about a misspelled word or TWO but my God!?!?!?!

Russ

Me thinks this is a big joke. :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
achiro said:
I'm thinking that at 16 maybe you should be spending more time learning to spell so that later you can get a good job that can support your dog habits. I mean I'm certainly not one to worry about a misspelled word or TWO but my God!?!?!?!

Russ

Me thinks this is a big joke. :wink:
u shud not mak fun of peeples speling. that is not veree nice. not evree body can spel az gud az u. :D

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sharpshooter,

You do not use an e-collar to train. Properly, the e-collar is used to reinforce what the dog already knows. It does not sound like an e-collar will help you.

What you should do is find a good retriever training book, and get on the program. There are a lot of good ones out there and they are a lot less expensive than an e-collar. And they are written in such a way as each new lesson logically builds on the lessons that have come before it.

Buy the book, get on the program, do EXACTLY what they say. And if you come to a place in the book that calls for an e-collar, then it will be time to come back here and ask. And we will be more than glad to help.

Good luck to you and your Lab!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I voted no because IMHO it sounds as if you are trying to use the collar as a correction device rather than a teaching device.

Before pushing buttons you need to know: 1)exactly what you are trying to accomplish as the end product, 2)that the dog knows what you expect of him/her, 3) what stage of learning the dog is at the time, and 4) that the dog will be able to understand what the electric is all about.

My best suggestion would be to find someone locally that understands e-collar training. Explain to this person your goals and let them teach you what to do and how to prepare your dog if e-collar training is to be in you and your dog's future. IMHO it is very hard for most people to learn the correct use of an e-collar from a book or video.

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
549 Posts
i'll vote yes if the collar is around his neck and stone cold steve austin has the transmitter :lol: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Force fetch.

If you don't know what this is, then you don't want to get a collar.

If you do know what this is, you are probably a troll and playing a joke on us all.

In either case, this is the answer to what you are describing. She needs to learn that she doesn't have options when you say "fetch".

Lisa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey evrybody thanks for the help i found out one of my teachers have trained lots of labs so if i have ?????? i can ask him he said. Wich is cool he said he would teach me about e collars. Russ after going to school all day and then working with my dog for an hour and then going back to school for wrestling pratice and then running a mile with my dog i could care less what or how i type so me thinks you have no life and most likely work at a fast food palce. For everybody else thanks and to walker you gave me alot of good info thanks i love this place.
thanks
sharpshooter

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
sharpshooter said:
me thinks you have no life and most likely work at a fast food palce. sharpshooter

"Would you like fries with that?"

Careful how you insult people, with grammar and spelling like that, that could end up as your catch phrase.

Russ,

Still thinks this is a joke

·
Registered
151 Posts
Achiro said:
But I have this great idea...I plan to go nationwide and sell franchise rights to my MOM and "POP" and SHOPs idea. Chiropractic, gasoline, homemade cookies, and sodas.
Russ,
SS might know more than you think! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
HAHAHA!
I knew that joke would come back to haunt me someday! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts