RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little information on Grady,

Is Grady a vocal dog?

Do Grady Pups have a tendency to be vocal?

The Grady pup that this is currently in our training group is an amazing 7 month old. The only draw back I see about this pup is she tends to be very vocal. Now when the pro/trainer runs the pup she's quit and a perfect lady, when the owner runs her she screams like she's on fire.

I have plans on getting a Grady pup later this year and I am curious if the vocal tendencies originate in Grady?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Any dog of any line can be "vocal" if "allowed" to be. I'm guessing he has figured out with the pro that it's not "allowed" and that he can "get away with it" with the owner. I would recommend the owner visit with the pro and have him help him with the issue and show the owner how not to "allow" it to happen. I'm not saying that the owner is consciously "allowing" it, but hasn't learned how to control that aspect of the dog.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any dog of any line can be "vocal" if "allowed" to be. I'm guessing he has figured out with the pro that it's not "allowed" and that he can "get away with it" with the owner. I would recommend the owner visit with the pro and have him help him with the issue and show the owner how not to "allow" it to happen. I'm not saying that the owner is consciously "allowing" it, but hasn't learned how to control that aspect of the dog.
Understood, and the owner is working with the pro to address this issue. But some lines are more prone to be vocal than others and that was my question.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have not heard of a vocal trait from Grady.....heard lot's of good things like smart, good markers, etc. but never any bad.
That is why I eventually bought one! Mine is 6 months old now and will start force fetch soon.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I haven't heard of any being particularly vocal. I know my husband has been working with a few, a couple of friends have/have had them and neither said anything about them being vocal...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent feed back,

Thank you very much.

Good markers and smart seem to be a common trait in a Grady pup.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have an 8 month old Grady pup who is NOT vocal at all , VERY smart and wants to learn, also sensitive, does not need very much pressure.....I LOVE CROSBY!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 2 year old male by Grady. He is a high octane dog, but not noisy.
He was/is slow to mature mentally. But he is really a steady dog even when younger (without working on it).
He is with a pro, he was a quick dog for a beginner like myself and I always felt like he was 10 steps ahead of me. A pro was really the way for us to go and now we are on the same page.
I love how he deals with pressure, nothing can bring this dog down!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just watched two Grady offsprings run a Derby today. Great markers and excellent line manners, looking forward to my own Grady pup.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have an 8 month old Grady pup who is NOT vocal at all , VERY smart and wants to learn, also sensitive, does not need very much pressure
Mine is just like this. Does not need very much pressure at all. He is not vocal at the line or in the field... but loud as hell in the kennel. Being in a kennel next to a bunch of police dogs probably contributed to that more then anything though. His biggest draw back is me....

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
To the OP, how about contacting Grady's owner Chad Baker, he frequents the RTF and has always been very forthright and honest...have not had the pleasure of meeting him in person but have heard nothing but very nice things about the gentleman....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I would say look at the female lines for any of the lines known to be a little more prone to vocalizing. I have heard nothing but good when inquiring about a couple different Grady offspring. I am sure there are a few here and there with things, but remember half is from the mom also. One quote I got was a grady pup is like having a GO Cart engine in a ferrari...... meaning not so much horse power that you cant control it but amazing performance.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Grady female pup is not vocal at all and seems really smart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I train with 3 Grady pups most every night. I think they are in the 16 to 18 month old range. Not vocal at all. Very intellegent, very fast and love to get air when entering the water. I agree that they don't need much pressure but handle it well. I know the Dam and she is not vocal either. She is a very nice dog with a Grand pass and has contributed to the these pups as well.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
LOL Crosby is very noisy when he wants out of the kennel or if it is dinner time
Mine is just like this. Does not need very much pressure at all. He is not vocal at the line or in the field... but loud as hell in the kennel. Being in a kennel next to a bunch of police dogs probably contributed to that more then anything though. His biggest draw back is me....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts