RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read my post awhile back about my puppy having constant diarrhea, we are still battling soft stools. The vet found giardia in his stool so he has been treated for that with panacur, metronidazole, and pro-pectalin tablets. He is still having the diarrhea problems and the vet is now thinking it is his food. He came from the breeder being fed Euk LBP. We then switched him to Fromm LBP after we took a stool sample to the vet and it came back negative. The vet wants me to switch him back to either Euk LBP or Science diet because he thinks the Fromm is too "rich". Does anybody know of a grain free food that is less rich??? If not, he will probably go back on Euk, which doesnt make me happy because of the higher costs and smaller bags...

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
What's most important to you, better stools and what works or price? You will get 20 different answers here and the more you change foods the more problems you create. Some of the new foods I think have vegetables and fruits in the foods to look better to people but it maybe doesn't agree with the dog. One of the main reasons I have always gone back to Euk is better stools.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's most important to you, better stools and what works or price? You will get 20 different answers here and the more you change foods the more problems you create. Some of the new foods I think have vegetables and fruits in the foods to look better to people but it maybe doesn't agree with the dog. One of the main reasons I have always gone back to Euk is better stools.
Him being healthy is most important. I don't care about price

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
just curious (didn't read your other thread, sorry), why do you have him on grain free food? Contrary to the massive brilliant marketing campaign some companies have going, grain is, and has always been, a perfectly legitimate food for dogs unless your dog has a medically documented intolerance for a specific grain or grains.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just curious (didn't read your other thread, sorry), why do you have him on grain free food? Contrary to the massive brilliant marketing campaign some companies have going, grain is, and has always been, a perfectly legitimate food for dogs unless your dog has a medically documented intolerance for a specific grain or grains.
I'm not going to turn this into a food debate thread since there are plenty of them to read through on this site. I was just asking a simple question.
You can read the research yourself to come up with your own opinions on the food as well as read through opinions of the folks on this site.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and not had any problems unless she someone gives her people food. She does seem to have a sensitive stomach, the other labs we've had, not much seemed to upset their stomachs.

We started using it because we had an old lab with an allergy that was food induced, the vet recommended eliminating grain based foods.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Due to stomach, loose stool, ear infections and dry skin issues with my one dog, I decided to go grain-free and switched to Taste of the Wild Lamb. Have had really good luck with it but it did take a while to get his system in order. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Due to stomach, loose stool, ear infections and dry skin issues with my one dog, I decided to go grain-free and switched to Taste of the Wild Lamb. Have had really good luck with it but it did take a while to get his system in order. Good luck!
How long did it take to get his systems in order out of curiosity?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm feeding fromm to 5 dogs and haven't had any stool issues. Mine are on the Classics formula. I call it the blurple bag :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know how frustrating it can be to figure things out with a pup. Some times I think pups need to build up their immune system. Since my dog had a number of issues, it probably took 1-2 months to clear everything up. It was suggested I go grain and poultry free. Lamb is suppose to be easier on their stomach so that is why I switched to Taste of the Wild Lamb. Every dog is different and some have iron stomachs and can eat anything. But for my guy, after trial and error, this has worked for him and I'm really glad it has. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Taste of the wild is a premium grain free food, I have had good luck with the prairie flavor. The salmon version not so good luck, loose stooles and I have heard others/labs with the same problem with that flavor. Maybe stay away from the salmon. Natures domain, sold at Costco is the same food as taste of the wild, diamond but less protein and fat so if the TW is to rich try that one. I feed natures domain with an egg and I'm up to the same protein and fat as the more expensive TW. I can clean my yard with a 9 iron:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tazman--One of my dogs suffered from food allergies(wheat), so I tried several grain-free foods. She has done the best on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet, Duck and Potato is her favorite. My other dog is thriving on Enhance Hunter's Edge which is corn, wheat, & soy free. Our labs and our livestock guardian dogs all get daily doses of probiotic either in chewable tablets or dispersible powder to aid in digestion. This program works for our dogs. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my 2 year old lab would get bad acne on her face but since I switched her to Flint River Ranch she has not had any in 2 months, so I think it was grain causing it They have a couple of grain free formulas and they are not quite as rich as many grain free foods out there

·
Registered
105 Posts
Too rich is not much of an explanation for the vet to give you. Did he just mean too many calories or ? Sometimes if you feed too much of a food that doesn't have a bunch of fillers in it (rich foods?) the dog will have loose stools, you just need to decrease the amount fed. I have a dog that as a puppy could not eat the Fromm puppy food, but was fine with the adult food, which is all life stages.

Don't know why you are looking for grain free? It could very well be the chicken that is the problem and not the grains, but Acana is one grain free that is good, you will have to feed less of it because it is 33/16 protein/fat, but that is less than some grain free foods. Not grain free, but but you could try California Natural Chicken Puppy, it uses only rice as a grain, and it very simple in ingredients compared what you have been using. The rest of that brand has too high calcium for large breed pups.

Remember for puppies the food calcium levels should be checked, some foods, including many grain free, have calcium levels over 2%, too high for large breed puppies.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The vet wants me to switch him back to either Euk LBP or Science diet because he thinks the Fromm is too "rich". Does anybody know of a grain free food that is less rich??? If not, he will probably go back on Euk, which doesnt make me happy because of the higher costs and smaller bags...
If my vet (who is a trusted partner in the care of my dogs) recommended a specific food, I would follow his instructions. There are a lot of good reasons for choosing one food over another, but cost is not one of them IMO. Results are all that matters to me.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
The other thing is if I remember correctly your vet only treated the giardia for a few days. How many days did he treat? He could have reinfected or you may not have cut it back enough on the giardia-it is difficult to get rid of.. You need to give probiotics everyday for awhile and if you start playing musical foods you will get some looseness from that and eventually more problems. I'm betting the giardia is still causing it. Usually people that have this problem have to treat several times for at least 2 weeks.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Have you also considered getting the good probiotics straighten out in her tummy? You have been treating here for giardia and those meds could of killed off everything, including the good bacteria in her tummy. Something to consider.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts