RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the pass rates for the last 7 grands have been 16.5%, 19.2%, 15.7%, 13.5%, 13.4%, 20.9%, and 31.1%. Looks like there has been a big rise in the pass rate. Is this due to a standards/rule change? It doesn't seem very random. I think this is good for the HRC. If pass rates would have hung in the 13-15% range people would have gotten very discouraged.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So the pass rates for the last 5 grands have been 15.7%, 13.5%, 13.4%, 20.9%, and 31.1%. Looks like there has been a big rise in the pass rate. Is this due to a standards/rule change? It doesn't seem very random. I think this is good for the HRC. If pass rates would have hung in the 13-15% range people would have gotten very discouraged.
Was there a standard or rule change that affected the grand? Go back in history of the grand and there are tests that have higher rates. Lot of factors involved. Definately do not want to dilute the Grand designation.

Smarter and better training perhaps?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Several pros and I were standing around at the upland and talking about this very thing. Seems they feel a big part of it is, so many great avenues of learning today, as opposed to years ago. You-Tube, DVD's , computers, not to mention better equipment, and well bred dogs today.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think that more handlers, (Ams & Pros) are working harder on the upland tests. That has always taken its toll on the last series. The total could have been higher if the weather hadn't affected the tougher tests on the first day. All told, it was GREAT

·
Registered
71 Posts
atmospheric condtions.... so many time at a grand a storm comes thru, or a front... so many times one flight is way lower on passes than another flight, because they drew flight with the bad winds and the higher pass drew the same tests on good winds. You can get thru the grand with a good dog and no good luck, but you cant get thru the grand with the best dog ever and bad luck... atmospheric condtions are huge. travis

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mmmm, I'd say it has a lot to do with the seven "P''s (those that don't know what that is can search around and find out) both on the part of prep by handlers and also on the part of the grand committee on the set up and execution. When the 7P's are covered then things should go well all the way around. Like Travis said weather and changing conditions can have a huge impact on any flight running a particular test but there's nothing that anybody can do about that. There is a saying that good luck doesn't hurt but you sure don't need any bad luck when running the grand...And stay out of Walmart after it starts.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mmmm, I'd say it has a lot to do with the seven "P''s (those that don't know what that is can search around and find out) both on the part of prep by handlers and also on the part of the grand committee on the set up and execution. When the 7P's are covered then things should go well all the way around. Like Travis said weather and changing conditions can have a huge impact on any flight running a particular test but there's nothing that anybody can do about that. There is a saying that good luck doesn't hurt but you sure don't need any bad luck when running the grand...And stay out of Walmart after it starts.
Ok David, help me with the "stay out of Walmart after it starts" sure there is some history here. Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I think that more handlers, (Ams & Pros) are working harder on the upland tests. That has always taken its toll on the last series. The total could have been higher if the weather hadn't affected the tougher tests on the first day. All told, it was GREAT
I've found that very few dogs actually go out in the upland. I'm was thinking less than 10%. I do recall one fellow (fontenot maybe) that lost 2 or 3 in a single Grand though. Felt for him when I saw that.

Had to go back and look it up...

Rough Counts...
Spring 2012 7 of 127 failed = 6%
Fall 2011 7 of 60 failed = 12%
Spring 2011 8 of 65 failed = 12%
Fall 2010 4 of 60 failed = 7%
Spring 2010 12 of 94 failed = 13%

About the same number of dogs failed the upland. This year's high number of dogs running the upland pushed the percentage of failures down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually the upland numbers changing back and forth depend on what kind of test we get in the upland. Some times it's a good time in orange, and sometimes it's an hour and fifteen minute handlers meeting. I wouldn't say more people are doing upland in perpetuation I'd say less. I very well may never put another uh on a dog for the simple reason when we get an hour and fifteen minute handlers meeting the dogs that truly know what they are doing are at a disadvantage . Ive failed a 5th for my dog being past my foot on the walk up (I stopped walking then blew a whistle... Half a step away from a grand pass cause I didn't move forward) and passed one my dog crept 30 foot off the honor bucket . Same dog with 13 consecutive upland passes.... One thing about the upland it's never the same 3 grands in a row. I don't want it gone, but I'd sure like it to be standerized how it's run and judged

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok David, help me with the "stay out of Walmart after it starts" sure there is some history here. Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Jeff
It's a proven fact that going into a Walmart after the grand starts is bad luck and will send you home, others may chime in with their experiences but if you didn't bring it with you, then you don't need it and dang sure don't go into Walmart to get it unless your truck is filled up and ready to leave.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've found that very few dogs actually go out in the upland. I'm was thinking less than 10%. I do recall one fellow (fontenot maybe) that lost 2 or 3 in a single Grand though. Felt for him when I saw that.

Had to go back and look it up...

Rough Counts...
Spring 2012 7 of 127 failed = 6%
Fall 2011 7 of 60 failed = 12%
Spring 2011 8 of 65 failed = 12%
Fall 2010 4 of 60 failed = 7%
Spring 2010 12 of 94 failed = 13%

About the same number of dogs failed the upland. This year's high number of dogs running the upland pushed the percentage of failures down.
It is usually right around 10%.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
It's a proven fact that going into a Walmart after the grand starts is bad luck and will send you home, others may chime in with their experiences but if you didn't bring it with you, then you don't need it and dang sure don't go into Walmart to get it unless your truck is filled up and ready to leave.

That is what happened to me in GA. Damn Waltons....Should have gotten a truck battery some place else

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
That is what happened to me in GA. Damn Waltons....Should have gotten a truck battery some place else
Sounds like it was starting (pun intended) to go down hill before you got to Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Sounds like it was starting (pun intended) to go down hill before you got to Wal-Mart.
You know even though I am of the belief that HRC has some issues to deal with I think the Grand is something they do well. The really great thing about HRC most of the people. Someone actually gave me a spare battery and told me not to worry about it, but I am not that kind of guy and had to get my own and return the other. We went out due to luck of he draw. We ran the third in 30 mph winds and rain as did most of the dogs that ran in those conditions. It was tough but loved every second of it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts