RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed green and yellow bumpers for sale by a couple major training supply vendors. What are the two colors used for in training? Blinds in certain types of cover? New to the game so need the advice/mentoring. Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
We have green and yellow along with the other colours because we are lazy. When we put out a multiple leg drill we use different colours at each pile so we know how many have been picked up and how many are still out. I know we could just sort them at the line but inevitably some one puts one in the wrong pile and then you have to walk out and check the piles. Told you I was lazy.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
We have green and yellow along with the other colours because we are lazy. When we put out a multiple leg drill we use different colours at each pile so we know how many have been picked up and how many are still out. I know we could just sort them at the line but inevitably some one puts one in the wrong pile and then you have to walk out and check the piles. Told you I was lazy.[/QUOTE

Honesty is worth something ....Steve S
PS but still a good idea....

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
We have green and yellow along with the other colours because we are lazy. When we put out a multiple leg drill we use different colours at each pile so we know how many have been picked up and how many are still out. I know we could just sort them at the line but inevitably some one puts one in the wrong pile and then you have to walk out and check the piles. Told you I was lazy.[/QUOTE

Honesty is worth something ....Steve S
PS but still a good idea....

That is a great idea. I hate walking out ot see if there is still a bumper in the pile or worse, sending the dog to a pile with nothing there. Not going to go out and buy all new bumpers but really like that idea!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Marketing plain and simple. Dogs are color blind, they see in shads of black and white. White or white and black bumpers for marks, orange for blinds. Other colors although pleasing to the human eye don't do a lot for the dog.
It has been said often on this forum that dogs only see shades of black and white. This is a fallacy and to set the record straight see the following link where there is a chart that shows the colors as the dog sees them.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/200810/can-dogs-see-colors

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I believe there are times my dog sees a florescent green bumper better against a woods line background better than a white one.
don't know why but works for my dog.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
So a chartreuse florescent type like highway workers wear would be quite visable to a retriever against a dark backround ? Makes sense.A feller at our trial runs his blinds in a long sleeve shirt like that , and indicated that they did some black and white photos to prove this point.Interesting.Course if you do anything out of the conventional box....you are under more scrutiny by gallery ....and judges hahha

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
bumpers...

That is a great idea. I hate walking out ot see if there is still a bumper in the pile or worse, sending the dog to a pile with nothing there. Not going to go out and buy all new bumpers but really like that idea!

Just paint some black on one end or put duck tape around them when doing pile work ... Yo can buy different colored tape now....Steve S

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
florescent colors

So a chartreuse florescent type like highway workers wear would be quite visable to a retriever against a dark backround ? Makes sense.A feller at our trial runs his blinds in a long sleeve shirt like that , and indicated that they did some black and white photos to prove this point.Interesting.Course if you do anything out of the conventional box....you are under more scrutiny by gallery ....and judges hahha
I believe the florescent makes the objects shine ( best word I could come up with ) or reflect light differently than a plain white of other color...There was a problem with camo clothes some time back with this problem....Steve S

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the idea of the different colors for the blinds. My buddies and Ii can keep track of how many bumpers came out of which pile and invevitably end up walking out to the blind to check the inventory. Yes, we must have attention deficit disordernot bein able to remeber bumpers. With this being said we will look into getting different colors next time we need some. Thanks for the advice;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts