RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced their dog growling at them? Not an aggressive or mean growl, but a scared nervous tick type growl.

It all began when I left my wife and ~2 year old male lab for a two week trip. Upon my return, my dog would growl at me if I made load noises or approached his general area rapidly or at bad times. It continues to get worse, but it is a non-aggressive growl it really seems like he is doing it out of nervousness.

I have tried calming him telling him "its okay boy", tried getting on to him, and am currently trying telling him "go-on" in a monotone non-aggressive manor when it occurs and making him exit the room ...it seems to be working better, but I am concerned.

The only time we see improvements is when I spend a great deal of time with him. Then I go back to a regular work week and he gets back in the grumpy growling mode. His growling is most prevelant in the late evenings when he is very tired. Keep in mind this does not happen all of the time and when it is time to fetch or hunt he is the 110% ready to go dog that we have always known. The only place this really occurs is inside at our house.

Anyone have any advice for how to fix this problem? Experienced this themselves.....offer insight for finding a solution?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Speaking nice words in a non-aggressive manner may not be the correct solution.

Check out the link below.

Dealing with Dominant and Aggressive Dogs

I highly recommend the video. The great thing about it is that you can watch the video immediately through the streaming option.

Your dog may not recognize you as the pack leader - especially when he's been ruling the pack while you go on trips. The video explains how this can be corrected. The video cautions that some issues are best handled by a behaviorist and explains how to select the right one.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I have one that growls. He growls at me and my wife, her more than me. It's of little help to you, I know, but it is how he "vocalizes." There is nothing aggressive about him. I think when he is unsure, he growls.

I tried consoling him. I tried scolding him. He still growls.

He is 11.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Again this is one of those threads that ya just need to see the dog in question.
Dog's body lauguage tell us everything we need to know. Sometimes we as owners miss so much stuff our friends are trying to tell us.
Coo-cooing him and telling him that's ok?
In his mind you ARE telling him that "his" growling is ok.
Tell him to sit or here or throw something for himto retrieve and reward him for positive things NOT the negative ones.
Get professional help if you need it.
Good luck.
Sue

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Give the dog the benefit of the doubt, I'd have a full veterinary work-up done to be sure there isn't a physical cause. Especially since you said it's more common in the late evenings when he is very tired. Perhaps he's in pain? Has he had hips/elbows/thyroid checked?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I agree with Sue. You would have to see it. I agree it probably has to do with a perception of who is in charge when you come back. You also may have smelled differently when you came back but it shouldn't continue to feel that way but he may have coped an attitude thinking he is in charge. My daughter has two Labs and one growled when her SO wore new leather boots. He even growled at the boots. I said it had to be the smell. They left the boots out where he had to deal with them and eventually he got used to them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Upon my return, my dog would growl at me if I made load noises or approached his general area rapidly or at bad times. It continues to get worse, but it is a non-aggressive growl it really seems like he is doing it out of nervousness.
Just wondering... what is a 'bad time' to approach your dog? When he is eating? When he is sleeping? When he has a toy?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am confused with the last statement?
Are we to tip toe around our dogs?
I still say seek Professional help. Or if you can vidoe tape what is going on ..............
Sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.