1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
How can I find one like her in the UK?
Quite easily.

Working Cockers are more popular than ever, particularly with lady handlers. You can go to the very top of the tree with Championship winning lines from my old acquaintance Simon Tyers, or just very good dogs from Rob Jones in my village. The standard of Cockers in UK is at an all time high right now, there are good solid dogs available from many sources, Google is your friend in this case.

Simon http://www.hawcroftgundogs.co.uk/

Rob .... http://www.cynhinfasportingdogs.com/

Eug

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Colonel,we are seeing a popularity in English cockers here in my area.Got a chance to work with a couple this year so far and they were remarkable little dogs to work with.Very biddable,and excellent trailing ability,with natural retrieving instinct.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thank you for sharing it was nice to see an actual working dog at a show

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Cute show and good for the audience to see their way of handling the hunting dogs. Very nice looking Labs!!!!:) IMHO I won't say training can't be done for field dogs that way but with some dogs it may take much longer especially hyper ones, hard to focus and spacy dogs. As for food rewards if you have a food monger all those treats will preoccupy him more than the business at hand. I know that from my pup who eyes go off the business of agility the minute food is out there. :D Thanks for sharing. It is really nice to see the different ways of gundog training from a different country. Those dogs did well in in that environment at Crufts.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The good looking black lab- Levenghyl Isle of Aaran "Monkey" is going to be the stud for my next litter. Last litter also came from Levenghyl stud dog import.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Very nice--thank you.

All attractive dogs, for sure, but the goldens... wow.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
OMG OMG OMG, Secret the working cocker reminds me of one of my labradors (not US breeding). Drug sniffer breeding programs love him and he was successful in lower stakes, but he is too hyper (temperament not suitable) for All Age retrieving/field competitons.

I have just bred him to an US bitch. Gawd help me!!!

Eugene, do you "like" Secret??????

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Eugene, do you "like" Secret??????
Like her, yes, just for the laughs ...... want her, no thank you.

Cockers just aren't my bag, I can't be doing with them, I get a headache just watching them. My pal Stewart has a kennel full and thinks they are all wonderful; and for him they are. Quite a nice sane bloke apart from that.

Eug

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I heard her say it! Three field trial champs at the show and four field trial champs at home trained by rewards and clicker methods. Is she fibbing?;)

I enjoyed the show.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
That spaniel was the least desirable of the dogs, IMO. Cute and she did a nice job with it, but way too "animated", not a dog I want to live with or train for the field.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
That spaniel was the least desirable of the dogs, IMO. Cute and she did a nice job with it, but way too "animated", not a dog I want to live with or train for the field.
I would like to respectfully disagree. I like spaniels for my pheasant hunting. I love the energy and bounce. This is perfect for routing out the pheasants. And did you notice Secret's zig zag---a natural quartering pattern? The size was also perfect for getting into the tightest of spaces.

I think that Secret is perfect for my upland work and probably quite the comedian in the house.

Colonel Blimp---Does Pippa use Secret for roughshooting?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I would like to respectfully disagree. I like spaniels for my pheasant hunting. I love the energy and bounce. This is perfect for routing out the pheasants. And did you notice Secret's zig zag---a natural quartering pattern? The size was also perfect for getting into the tightest of spaces.

I think that Secret is perfect for my upland work and probably quite the comedian in the house.

Colonel Blimp---Does Pippa use Secret for roughshooting?
Different strokes. I don't like hyper bouncy little dogs. Lots of people obviously do or there wouldn't be so many of them. ;-)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
You are right when you say different strokes, I agree. What I didn't mention was that when it comes to retrieving, spaniels do the job but the ones I have seen can't match the retrievers. However, when working the uplands, my superb shooting always leaves the dog an easy retrieve.:rolleyes:;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are right when you say different strokes, I agree. What I didn't mention was that when it comes to retrieving, spaniels do the job but the ones I have seen can't match the retrievers. However, when working the uplands, my superb shooting always leaves the dog an easy retrieve.:rolleyes:;-)

Have you ever seen a Boykin Spaniel retrieve. They can do the work just as well as a Lab. The only thing that limits them is there size, they can not see out as far as a Lab because they are not as tall. I have seen a few Boykins make Labs look mediocre. I am not saying that all Boykins are just as good of retreivers as all Labs but the little brown dogs can get it done with the best of them. And they are a terror for upland birds!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts