RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original version or the Son Of A Gun model? Is the compactness of the son of a gun worth the shorter launches it gives? Preferences......

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
It depends a lot on what your situation is. The SOG does not throw as far as the full size, but does have other advantages. It fits easily in an SUV, car, or across your truck bed rather than lengthwise. It is easy to conceal behind low cover and should be sufficient for training in most HT situations. If you train primarily for FT you would probably be better served by the full size GU. Either way they are great launchers. I have three full size and one SOG and that works out very well.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually more interested in the HT scenario. I figure the sog would fit good on an atv too. Looks as if, according to the info, that there isn't really all that much difference in launching distances.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I train FTs and although the SOG has a shorter throw, I like, on occassion put it on the longer guns - just to teach my dogs that not all throws are nice and high - we have all been there were you get a bird that is not called as a no-bird because it still a decent throw, but not the nice high one that all the other people were getting.....and I like to use it for poison bird blinds.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I could always go with the full size on the next purchase. What's ya'lls preference on electronics? TT or Dogtra.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have never used Dogtra.

I have TT and like their products....

FOM

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
U cant go wrong with either of the gunners up best eqiupment with the customer service. I prefer the Dogtra electronics have been using them for 4 yrs. now and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I use Dogtra electronics on my Gunners Up SOG.
Both work fine.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I use TT electronics. I think they are the best.

·
Registered
156 Posts
with the SOG all you have to do is shorten the rubbers to get the same distance as the regular GU....thats what i did with mine.......

and i use TT..........

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I use TT, but either is good.
If you have Bumper Boys you can buy a kit that allows you to use the electronics form thme on your GU's. I think they are about $30 for each launcher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts