RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase 2 new wingers soon and wanted to get opinions on what you guys prefer. There seems to be a very small amount of difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Ran gunners up for several years, had no issues. Switched to Zinger because they are like a half inch shorter and I needed that for where I was storing and carrying them. Pretty much identical devices. Depending on the zinger model you can get those that fire different size rounds but I was merely looking for the 209 shooters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My mini Zinger Wingers have proven to be very durable for a number of years. On top of that, I like to place my support with the company who developed the product in its infancy. I use the minis because they fit in my car, RV and even my super cub, whereas the longer versions won't fit. Yes, I do load 2 minis, and my dog in my plane and fly out to train occasionally, landing in a special place or two.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Zinger will throw a tad farther than GU, however, if you are going to have inexperienced people (bird boys in a hunt test, etc) using them, I think the release system on the GU is safer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Was making this same decision two years ago. Found a ZW Mini in the classifieds and liked it so much, I bought two more. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I used GU son of guns for years, sold them last summer and just bought a brand new ZW II, (On sale for 299.00) it throws great and the hinges are a lot stronger than the hinges on the GU. I have folded up several hinges on GU because of how I load them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I prefer the zinger because if you leave the bands hooked you can load with one hand whereas with a GU you need a second hand to flip the lever

·
Registered
31 Posts
I perfer the "trigger" of a zinger.. however a gunners up is "safer". Like RR said you can cock a zinger one handed.. both are much safer than my homemade bow release wingers lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have to use remote releases with all zingers or do they have manual releases too? If purchasing one with electronics what is the preferred package and website to purchase from? Seems like Gun Dog Supply is popular.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have four ZW G4's and think they are very good equipment. Mine are about 3 years old now and I have had to replace two servos, and recently two wire harnesses. The ones I have you can tie a string to the release mechanism to operate it manually and I'm pretty sure they use the same release on all their stuff. I went with Dogtra recievers on mine because I have had good luck with their electronics in the past. Got my receivers rained on once last year and one of the "quacker" speakers stopped working. Bought my wingers on sale directly from ZW but I bought the electronics from a guy that had just become a dealer for Dogtra and gave me a good discount.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey, Kirk Keene, I am from Southern IL and will be retiring to my property there this summer. Tried to PM you but your message board is full. Looking to get with other dog people in So. IL so PM me and let's compare notes.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Zinger is a better made product. Used them for around 12 years. Tried New GU's but by far prefer Zinger. Zinger II is your best bang for the buck. Will throw just as well as the field trailer but smaller and easier to store or carry. Slightly larger than the mini but all around best product for my $$$

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I couldn't see spending the extra dollars on the zinger - both products throw birds or bumpers or dokkens quite well. I have the Gunners Up Son of a Gun models and like them. I have never had an ounce of problem and use them nearly daily in the summer (not so much in the winter). I used the extra money to buy dokkens. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you have to use remote releases with all zingers or do they have manual releases too? If purchasing one with electronics what is the preferred package and website to purchase from? Seems like Gun Dog Supply is popular.
You can release them manually but I use the Dogtra electronics package and ordered directly from Zinger and have also used Gun Dog Supply. You'll also want .209 primers. I prefer Cheddite and order from Dogs Afield. Think they have the best prices and shipping.http://www.dogsafield.com/CHEDDITE-209-PRIMER-1000/productinfo/R432-005/#.WIvrY8s8KhC

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I couldn't see spending the extra dollars on the zinger - both products throw birds or bumpers or dokkens quite well. I have the Gunners Up Son of a Gun models and like them. I have never had an ounce of problem and use them nearly daily in the summer (not so much in the winter). I used the extra money to buy dokkens. :)
The zinger winger II I purchased just a few weeks ago was cheaper than any gu, at 299.00.

·
Registered
958 Posts
main difference is the release. i like the Zingers, they are quicker to load....neither take long but if you have a bunch of dogs to run every day. Every little bit counts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts