RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the CD w/Hunt Test and Field Trial sounds. Does anyone know who sells it and exactly what it is called?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I have the GunzUp cd and use it a lot. You need a really good speaker system to get the volume you need. I have a Walmart combo radio and cd player and I don't get the volume I would like. I need to invest in a boom box of some sort.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mitty.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
the best part of the Guns Up CD is when the judge says no one is going to get any lunch....

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would not recommend it personally. I have it and feel like without amps and sub woofers there is no way for it to fool a dog.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have it and used sparingly it does seem to get my dogs amped up. I borroweed one and the first time my dogs heard it, they even got amped up for training at my own farm! That sold me so I bought a copy and I use it a couple times a year with my other props. I didn't play it loudly, just normal volume. Some people say it doesn't work, but I think if you use it with other HT-simulating props, it's a good tool. Too bad you're not closer Bob or I'd let you borrow it since the CD player in my dog truck is no longer working. Got mine from YBS as well.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I play it on my car CD, or on a boom box powered by my inverter. I play it everytime I train. I don't think my dogs are music critics, so the overall audio quality is not the point. Dogs are situational learners, and keep the triggers consistant between training and testing make this simple tool well worth using. It's not as if it's hard to do.

Evan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evan, Many thanks for your input. You never hesitate to offer help. Your suggestions helped me with a noise issue a little over a year ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wayne- If you want a portable system that reproduces high quality sound, try a portable Bose iPod dock. They are small and pricey but the sound reproduction is amazing. They have a wired AC version for less $ but you would need an inverter. You would also need to add your GunzUp CD to iTunes on your computer and load it on your iPod or other MP3 player.

Ross

·
Registered
875 Posts
I believe that anything you can do to lessen the impact of an event is worth doing. I've used this CD for about 5 years. I try to use it a few days prior to a trial. Blue isn't as impressed with it as he once was, but he still looks around when the flyer station shoots. Some dogs will benefit more than others

·
Registered
58 Posts
could this cd help a dog that gets nervous around other dogs and at events? my dog is a hard charger at home, but when im training with the locals he does not run as hard and seems more nervous.
thanks

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Evan, Many thanks for your input. You never hesitate to offer help. Your suggestions helped me with a noise issue a little over a year ago.
Glad to help. How are things going with him these days?

Evan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to help. How are things going with him these days?

Evan
He was doing great. He did however have a cold weather hypothermia problem when I tried to hunt him in 25 degree weather in the water. Never had this problem with any of my chessies, so I found him a new home where he will never be in a cold working situation again.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

I don't currently use the Guns Up CD, but if I did, I'd be using one of the "e-callers" (not e-collar, but e-caller) that folks use for hunting predators or snow geese.

The above is the first do-it-yourself link that I found with a quick search to make one cheaply. I agree that you need to crank it up to get the Guns Up to give good value. I've heard of folks parking their cars and cranking the car stereo with the doors open, but that's frequently not practical. I've never hunted with an e-caller, but I did once judge an HRC event with Dr. Jason Zerrer. We set out a humongous spread of all sorts of snow goose dekes and ran the caller. It was pretty cool.

So, here's one idea of a way to get good volume with your Guns Up CD....use an "e-caller". It can be done economically if you want to spend an afternoon getting some parts, stripping some wires, soldering, etc.

Here's an aside that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. :

Regarding the use of an "e-caller" in an HRC test:

Some HRC folks would call it a "gimmick". I can remember one fairly outspoken HRC-heritage guy who made it very clear when a number of us swung over to HRC from NAHRA, that we should not bring our NAHRA "gimmicks" with us and try to apply them in HRC.

With this stake that Jason and I did with the e-caller: I had fun. More importantly, the dogs and the handlers had fun. Jason, my co-judge had fun too. So that's what hunt tests are partially all about. I've only done such a thing once. It was fun. This weekend was the very weekend where I reached a crossroads on my HRC judging philosphy. Jason and I also wanted to do a shot flyer. I was the one who backed down. I did not have the mental energy to want to do verbal combat with Field Reps and the like to "justify" a shot flyer. Here's the fact: If the rulebook allows it, and if we have set up a safe test, with no logistical issues, the Field rep and the commmittee should back off and respect what we want. It was here where I decided I'd go more "cookie cutter" as a judge - to avoid the verbal judo with the Field Rep.

I've heard that I've gotten a bit of a name for doing "weird" stuff at an HRC judge. I have no idea where that came from. I currently figure that was a certain one or two folks wanting to fabricate that once someone stops campaigning an HRC dog and starts campaigning in Field Trials, that they must have somehow quit judging HRC fairly. That's nonsense, by the way. I believe the source of this information has never, ever seen a single setup that I've done or judged.

HRC and hunt test programs in general, should embrace the most experienced judges they can get. Anybody worth training a puppy or setting up a stake should be capable of calibrating the stake they judge, to the field of dogs, the rulebook in use, etc. I have not suddenly started judging "crazy setups" just because my last HRC dog is deceased and my current lab has only run a little AKC field trial stuff. I love my HRC buddies, I love the HRC dogs. I love judging some HRC. I stay current on all my stuff - judges' test (gonna miss you Miss Cleo), judges seminars (some have been better than others - TOTALLY a function of who puts it on and where their mindset and ego resides), and all that.

The only reason I'm not judging any HRC this year is that I've been booked out pretty far in advance lately and it's all been FT stuff. I'm judging twice this Fall and that fills out my calendar. I've had to regretfully decline some of my friends who have asked me to judge HRC lately.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have it and was severely disappointed....Total waste of money in my opinion if you are an hrc person. I was looking for alot more guns going off whistles etc and an occasional duck call. If this is what you are looking for forget it. I f I can find mine, i will send it to you for the postage, honestly though, I may have tossed it but I will look

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I'm curious, Tim. What did you hear on it?

Evan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tim, I sent you a PM...

I have it and was severely disappointed....Total waste of money in my opinion if you are an hrc person. I was looking for alot more guns going off whistles etc and an occasional duck call. If this is what you are looking for forget it. I f I can find mine, i will send it to you for the postage, honestly though, I may have tossed it but I will look

1 - 20 of 31 Posts