RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to a simple puncture that turned nasty. In a matter of overnight, her foot swelled like crazy all the way to the hock joint. I take her to vet first thing in the morning and he says wow. He keeps her, probes and cleans just like any other time and puts her on Baytril. In addition, I soak her foot twice a day and flush with Prepodyne. The swelling went down and A LOT of puss drained but the last part stayed swollen and pussy. I take her back in and dropped her off. The vet was sure he got all foreign matter. I come back later in day and he had to slice in along the tendon where this nasty infection was hiding and he had to scrape it out (no foreign matter) but a nasty, gooey area. Poor girl's foot is tender and I have to take her in every two days for follow-up until we get this fixed. Just WOW! I don't know what the heck bacteria this was and I hope to never see it again.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Holy crap!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Oh wow, poor girl. Hope she recovers quickly!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Ouch! Poor girl! Hope she heels up quickly!:D

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Hope she heals in a few days and gets good as new early next week.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hope for a quick recovery!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wow, that sucks, my girl had the same thing 2 weeks ago.
She did not have to go back for reopening, the vet got
all the foreign matter on the first trip and did an x-ray.
Luckily, the meds worked and it has healed.
Hope your girl gets better soon, give her lots of love.

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I had a lab once that got a mesquite thorn in his front paw. I didn't even notice a limp until the next morning when the whole foot was swollen like crazy. The vet got it the first time and it healed up nicely but out of action for a good while.

Mesquite thorns are a problem in Texas. Remember in Lonesome Dove? But that is the only time I have had a problem.

Hope she recovers quickly.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Sorry to hear this Kevin, give momma a big hug from Blue...

I need to get some pictures and video your way to lift your spirits. You should see the water entry little Blue has.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Ugh. Hope she gets better really soon.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Hope you have it under control now. That's bad stuff when it gets inside and is an anaerobic wound.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Wow thats too bad, I was looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Man I really hate it when my dogs are sick or hurt.
But I must look on the bright side, one less good dog I have to compete with this weekend.;-) Jes kiddin hope she gets better soon and you can make it to one of our other trials.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Mr Rice.

Bummer... I hope she gets better real soon...
It always sucks when they is hurtin.
Dairy Queen works wonders...:cool:

Gooser

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Puncture wounds can go very bad quickly. Sorry your girl is going through this and hope she has a complete recovery.

Thanks for the pictures, they can serve as examples in the future to others who might otherwise minimize the significance of a "simple" puncture wound.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
My **** has a big water entry, even on blinds, big leap, big splash. It looks very stylish, but it scares me. In a qualifying stake water blind last year he hit the water hard and then looked like he was swimming funny. When he got out on a point you could see he was carrying his right front foot. It turns out that he got something lodged in his foot. This happened on Saturday. He was examined by a vet who was running a dog in that stake, and she said that since he had 2 days left of an antibiotic he was on for a cough he had, he should be ok until we could get him to our local vet on Monday. He was there being run by a good friend who was running his dog in The Open and The Am. He brought him to me on Monday and I made an appointment with the vet for that afternoon. On monday the foot started swelling in the morning and was HUGE by the time we got into the vet. The vet opened him up, drained it and cleaned it out, put him on antibiotics, and he healed up nicely. We were lucky. Gotta really stay on top of those foot puncture wounds. It scared the crap out of me...

Wish the dog could understand English so I could tell him to knock of the big entries, but it sure does look good to see a dog hit the water hard on a blind! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ouch, hoping she recovers quickly. Infections can be nasty.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wow thats too bad, I was looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Man I really hate it when my dogs are sick or hurt.
But I must look on the bright side, one less good dog I have to compete with this weekend.;-) Jes kiddin hope she gets better soon and you can make it to one of our other trials.
I was looking forward to giving you a run for your money. :D If she recovers quickly, we hope to make the next two trials.

Sorry to hear this Kevin, give momma a big hug from Blue...
I need to get some pictures and video your way to lift your spirits. You should see the water entry little Blue has.
Blue and Reggie are two peas in a pod and the future is bright. I'm glad he is making you happy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts