RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is breeding his black male English lab with a brown American lab. I can't find anything on the web about how this dog will look when it gets big, and no one I know has any answers for me either. I don't want to have an odd looking lab. Any answers? I'm interested in how the build of a half English half American lab will turn out.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Tell your friend to not pick an ugly American lab! :D and I'm sure they will turn out ok.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just worried it's going to take on certain English traits and certain American traits. Or do you just think it will be a mid sized dog with an equal blend of both parents? Kind of like incomplete dominance when a red and white flower makes a pink one. It's an odd reference but that's all I can think of haha thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I doubt he will be odd looking per se.... With that type of breeding, most likely its an outcross, (no related dogs in pedigrees). So you could see anything- from looking like mom,to looking like dad. Or somewhere in between. Depends on who has the dominant traits. If you like both parents involved , odds are you will be happy with what pup you get from the breeding. Especially if you dont lean toward running Trials- or Conformation shows. ,more to a companion/hunting dog,etc.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
What Billie said
it will not be 50% of dam 50% sire , when you go pick your pup pick what you see on the day, meaning don't pick a shy pup and don't pick a wired pup, (unless that is what you want)
and make sure that the parents have the qualities you are looking for

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
He will be tall and skinny with bad teeth and will spell words funny.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
A friend of mine is breeding his black male English lab with a brown American lab. I can't find anything on the web about how this dog will look when it gets big, and no one I know has any answers for me either. I don't want to have an odd looking lab. Any answers? I'm interested in how the build of a half English half American lab will turn out.
If you are concerned then maybe you should look at something else!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Here was the "fieldier" of the 2 boys from the same sire as above, and a half sister/aunt to the mom above at 2 yrs old---for the smarty pants of the group, I'm referring to the black dog! ;).
I really need to see the other boy in that litter-- he sure looked show bred at 8 wks when he left. Both are very nice looking, nice hunting dogs. Everyone is really happy with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Why? Really a poor choice. I can understand the thought process of trying to improve the show lines. I still think it is a poor idea at best.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Here was the "fieldier" of the 2 boys from the same sire as above, and a half sister/aunt to the mom above at 2 yrs old---for the smarty pants of the group, I'm referring to the black dog! ;).
I really need to see the other boy in that litter-- he sure looked show bred at 8 wks when he left. Both are very nice looking, nice hunting dogs. Everyone is really happy with them.

Anne, you actually have a breeding program…not just throwing too different dog types together to see what you end up with. :) Not to mention, you generally don't breed show/field pedigrees- more on the lines of working show & working show :) You have the BEST tempered and some of the nicest looking dogs that I have seen by the way…

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Anne, you actually have a breeding program…not just throwing too different dog types together to see what you end up with. :) Not to mention, you generally don't breed show/field pedigrees- more on the lines of working show & working show :) You have the BEST tempered and some of the nicest looking dogs that I have seen by the way…
Thank you Raina. :) I guess some people here never got to see some of the old pedigrees from the 60's and 70's still where there were actually Dual CH's and FCs bred to CHs. Some of the most successful breeding programs were involved at the time-- Candlewood, Hiwood, etc. The Europeans are still doing blended breedings. It's a long term commitment, no doubt about it, and you can't have too high of hopes for the modern show ring, but that's alright. I do think trends are swinging back around. My current litter is sired by a QAA MH dog w/ a heavy FC pedigree btw. He is nice looking, has nice structure... we'll see what 8 wks brings w/ this litter but based on the pups (only 3 in the litter) 2 yrs ago, I have no doubt they are going to be nice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With using terms like english, american and brown, I'm going to guess you're not dealing with CH and FCs.... so your guess is as good as ours as to what it'll look like. In the breedings I've seen with show bred dogs bred to field bred dogs, the field characteristics come through stronger.

·
Registered
538 Posts
With using terms like english, american and brown, I'm going to guess you're not dealing with CH and FCs.... so your guess is as good as ours as to what it'll look like. In the breedings I've seen with show bred dogs bred to field bred dogs, the field characteristics come through stronger.
I think we can all agree that this is a good thing :D

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Why is the question. Neither venue will accept the other.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts