This may be old news to some of you but this years inductees are:

Lawrence Martens (deceased) Sauk Rapids, MN
Jackie Mertens, Madison, FL
John Martin, Powell, OH

dogs -
Nodrog Penny Owner, Joyce Olinger, Indian Hills, CO
Jeep IV Owner, Jon & Donna Mazzuckelli, Hanna City, IL
Carmoney Brigadier Owner, Ray Goodrich, Santa Cruz, CA

David Smith At the Bird Dog Hall asks "How many time would you get Martens, Mertens, and Martin in the same group??"

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Re: better late than never

DRAKEHAVEN said:
Sad that Lorne could not get in while alive. He was/is most deserving.
Where can you read bios on the nominees-people and dogs?

M

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
3 Generations of Finalists

Three generations, from left to right:

FC Marten's Mr. Nifty, and his son
2xNAFC-3xCNFC-FC-AFC River Oaks Corky, and his son
NAFC-FC-AFC River Oaks Rascal.

Handlers, left to right are Lornie Marten, Billy Voigt, and Joe Pilar.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I approached members of the club about Lornie years ago there was turmoil in the Central Minnesota club the member thought there wouldn't be enough support, but then Lornie died and left his property, Martens Meadows, to the club.

Mr. Martens was in the US Army Canine Corp. from 1942 to 1946. He worked with several of the top trainers in the Country including T.W. Pershall and Billy Wunderlich while in the Military.After when in the military he continued his love of dog training. He competed in many Nationals and trained numerous field champions. He also welcomed many new comers to the sport and helped them become better trainers and handlers.

Lornie Martens contribution to the Field Trial breeding is legendary. Lornies dedicated and conscience desire to improve the breed is manifested through some of the great bloodlines he helped to foster.FC Martens Mister Nifty sired 72-75 NAFC-FC-CNFC River Oaks Corky, who in turn created his own bloodline. Other Martens dogs include FC Martens Scrubby Giant, FC AFC Martens Castaway, FC Martens Little Bullet and Black Powder Kate who produced Super Powder, who in turn started his own bloodline.

Lornie was also the owner and developer of Martens Meadow an 80 acre wetland and upland parcel that he developed into one of the top Field Trial and training grounds in the country. His generosity in making his grounds available to nearly everyone has been appreciated for many decades. Upon his passing he donated Martens Meadows to the Central Minnesota Retriever Club to perpetuate the sport and leave a lasting legacy to the game he loved so much. This donation along with a recent purchase of an adjoining 40 acres now provide Central Minnesota with one of the premier privately owned Field Trial facilities in the country.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The FTers I have trained with say the loudness of my voice reminds them of Jack Martin. I guess he is really, really loud? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Congratulations to the Mazzuckelli's......

:D Jon & Donna are the breeders of my dog Maxx. Jon was VERY patient with me with all my questions about training the big ox. I sure think the world of them both.......Otey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts