RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently received a Tri-tronics upland special XLS from an elderly uncle whom can no longer handle dogs. His dogs were trained for upland purposes, but my husband only waterfowls. At this point our 6-mo pup is only wearing the collar to get used to it. We have not even turned it on. Is this particular collar too much for our purposes as beginners? The transmitter is quite bulky to take afield. Should we consider selling for something lighter and more appropriate for a newbie? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
IMO...Listen to your elderly uncle on it's use and how to operate it to your needs.
Then decide if it is the match for your training needs or not.
Just my two cents worth. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Regardless of what kind of collar you have, make sure you follow a collar conditioning program. Don't just turn it on and zap away at the dog. I use the lardy collar conditioning DVD. As far as size I have a larger tritronics for training purposes will multiple collars for it, but when I hit the duck swamps I use a sport dog, much smaller and easier to use during a hunt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! His uncle is recovering from cancer treatment and has difficulty speaking... unless my husband talks to him about hunting, then he carries a normal conversation. Your suggestion is beneficial to both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fowlminded, that's a great suggestion! My husband would not object to getting more gear... and a simpler, lighter unit makes sense.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
This is an older ecollar but the basic functions are the same as other ecollars of that era. The upland has a beeper for keeping track of far ranging pointers. I assume this feature can be turned off. Otherwise it is just like other models. So, is it too much? In the sense that it shocks dogs, it is the same as others of that era. As mentioned by others you have to learn the proper way to use any ecollar.

You can get a very cheap holster for it to keep from losing in the duck blind. Since it is free I would try it.
I'm not sure if Garmin TT still supports this ecollar for maintenance and repair. This could be a factor in your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts