RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While training today I had my dog honoring, along with 2 others. Several people by the line carrying on conversations, including me.
A close flyer was shot and I was turned talking to the group and in my conversation i said dogs name, not paying attention. When I said her name she was half way to bird before I noticed and stopped her.
Just a casuall conversation and I mentioned her name and she was gone. Dont even remeber what we were talking about, just havin fun.
Maybe not a good idea to turn and talk to judges if your at a test;)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
That happened to me .... One time my dog was out a little too far to suit the judges after the birds went down, so I was asked to re-heel her.

Heel, no response. Heel, no response. Heel,heel no response, Della Hee... I got a response on that one;)

john

·
Registered
883 Posts
I learned the hard way, not to turn and talk to the judges after the dog had picked up the bird and was headed in! When I broke eye contact with the dog he would turn and go somewhere else rather than continue his return to the line. I may say something out of the side of my mouth, but I no longer take my eye off my dog. Love 'em, YES, trust 'em NO. Bill

·
Registered
230 Posts
I learned the hard way, not to turn and talk to the judges after the dog had picked up the bird and was headed in! When I broke eye contact with the dog he would turn and go somewhere else rather than continue his return to the line. I may say something out of the side of my mouth, but I no longer take my eye off my dog. Love 'em, YES, trust 'em NO. Bill
I learned the same thing. We had already been dropped, due to handling issues, but ran the marks for experience, since it was only our second hunt test. On the way back, the judges complimented me on his marking, so I turned around to talk to the judges as he was returning with the last bird. When I turned around, Reese is digging in a sandy area, & trying to push the duck into it. I learned, right then, to never assume that he's going to do what he's supposed to do.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That happened to me .... One time my dog was out a little too far to suit the judges after the birds went down, so I was asked to re-heel her.

Heel, no response. Heel, no response. Heel,heel no response, Della Hee... I got a response on that one;)

john
Oh geez I can certainly see that happening to me. I can just picture your dog waiting to hear that special word to be released while ignoring your re-heel command.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You never know what can happen. This was not at a test, but when pup was about a year old, she was steady as a rock. She was sitting on the high ground while I walked out to an island in the pond about 100 yards away where I tossed a couple of marks. We had about a foot of new snow and as I returned off of the island, I fell a55 over teakettle and when I got up, I must have looked like a snowman.
I bent over and clapped my hands together to get some of the snow out of my sleeves and brush myself off and when I look up she's beating feet down the bank towards me. I was dumbfounded and my first thought was "how do I correct this?" Then it dawned on me; It was the body language of me clapping my hands that gave her the cue to come and pay me a visit. Gotta be careful whatcha do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts