RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hank going for the orange bumpers between the white ones. 8 white bumpers are at 10 yds and 8 orange ones are out as far as I can throw them. This is a three minute extract from a 10 minute session.
After viewing the video I notice a couple times his butt was not all the way on the ground. I will fix that. I also noticed the wind up of throwing the orange bumpers back out caused some extra movement on my part and a little confusion for Hank. I will correct this also.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Compliant dog doing a good job.

I wish I had videoed my first few 16 bumper wagon wheel sessions with my 13 month old. She had been so good with 8 bumper WW before I ff'd her, that I didn't think it would be much of a deal to do the 16 bumper version.

That's what I get for thinking!

She was bugging, going off in one direction when looking another, head bouncing from one white bumper to another, and all sorts of behaviors except wagon wheel. I can't remember how many scores of times I had to move up to all the way between the white bumpers to get her to go through the slot. This turned out to be an extremely hard step for her. I bet it took us 3 weeks of 3 or 4 sessions a week to get it to something close to what you've got. About the hardest I've ever had to work on wagon wheel with a dog.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very nice work. Love that drill. You know exactly where you are at with handling durring this. Great job.:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Pretty good work.
When I do that drill. I have my white bumpers about 20-25 yards out and the orange about 20-30 yards past those.
I think that if the inner ring is close like you have it, the suction or factor is minimal. If it is out there a way, the dog has a decision to make.
Hold the line and go past the white bumper, or cave in. Good time for a proper correction.
Just the way I do it, not saying right or wrong.
MP

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wayne,

Nice work by you and Hank! He is progressing very nicely and you seem
to be very systematic in your approach! He is getting through everything very thoroughly under your training, not missing a beat.

Keep the videos coming!

Thanks again!

Chris

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm not there yet as to randomly choosing white or orange yet. Mike, you are probably correct that the added distance would make it more complex. The little park I'm in won't allow for the added distance. Lardy teaches 10 yds, according to my reading, so that is what I am doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts