RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pattern blind with diversions. The sequence, first run the pattern blind.

Then put a person (or stickman) about 20yds off the line to the bumpers and rerun the pattern blind.

Last put a birdboy (or winger) and launch a duck so it lands about 20yds off the line to the bumper pile. Then rerun the blind.

I was having trouble getting my zinger to launch. Needs some oil on the trigger.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Nice job. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks good, but after an unimaginable sequence of events a few years ago, I will NEVER run toward a busy road again. Especially a young dog.

ml

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a game fence between the telephone pole and road.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I couldn't hear but when you sent Hank after the duck did you use his name or say back?

When will we get to see some puppy pictures also? :D

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I sent Hank on his name for the duck. The pattern blind is 125 yds maybe a little more. I would like it to be a tad longer but that is what this field yields. When I move across the road (still on the kennel grounds) I will pick up a little more distance on taught blinds.

Rowdy (by Pirate) is making progress. Videos are a couple weeks away. We are doing a bunch of socialization. Visiting with all the neighbors. Getting the paper in the mornings, mail in the afternoon. Going to the kennel with me, riding on the mule, long walks in fields, jumping over logs, etc. Play retrieves with his toys. Introduction to duck wings and retrieving them. I threw a duck for him this morning. He chased it down and tackled it but isn't big enough to pick it up yet. He tried to drag it back but he couldn't get a good grip on a wing as it was still frozen some. He is very birdy.

I dug around in the freezer and found some pigeons. Will start using those tomorrow.

My daughter is coming this afternoon to spend two weeks with us with our two grandkids (ages 10 &13) and her two dogs. More socialization. Daughter and son-in-law sold their house but have a two week gap before closing on new house.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wayne,

thanks for the vid! Hank is looking good, running nice lines! I second the request for new pup pics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, and thanks for the video. I am a novice training a 6 month lab and things are going as well as can be expected, given I don't know what I don't know. I am just using Dokken's book and I don't recall seeing in there how to teach a dog to always return to your left side - mine often wants to come on my right and circle around. Any suggestions?

Also, I purchased a launcher but have only used it once - I live in the suburbs and finding a place to fire that thing is challenging (due to noise). Prior to using the launcher she was only retrieving as far as I could throw. However the launcher gets the dummy out there past her sight, and I noticed she wasn't looking up in the air, tracking it's flight. Any suggests on overcoming this?

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Teaching a dog to heel on a particular side is easy. There are two ways:
1. Put the dog on a 6-8 ft. lead. Set him in front of you. If you want him to heel on the right, call the dog to you, angle your body slightly to the right and guide him with the lead to a side sit on your right. Do this about a hundred times, just kidding.
2. Back up to a fence or the side of a house, so the dog can't go behind you and tell him to heel. He will catch on.

When you say a laucher, do you mean a retriever-r-trainer? Throwing from the side causes the dog to look up at you and the same for this type of launcher. Often when I transition a dog from handler tosses, I get a helper with a bucket of bumpers. I have the helper throw. First time helper throws from my side, then moves at an angle away from me in an arc. Throwing ever few yards away from me. The last throw should be at a 90 degree angle to the dog. Have the helper yell something, like Hey, Hey to get the dog to look at the thrower not you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then do retrieves with your back to something for a while. It will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts