RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We finished water force, now learning to tread water. My pond is leaking. Drats. The total session was 7 minutes with lots of freebies. I edited it down to just these three retrieves. I had to move closer to the water than normal to get the camera to look down into the water.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Wayne,

It sure looks like you guys are having fun. I like Hank and I'm glad he's back healthy and enjoying his work with you.

I'm impressed by your ongoing willingness to post videos.

Thank you! Chris

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Wayne, did you realize that both back casts were with the left hand. You basically had him complete a full circle as he's a right turner (at least that day). I like to turn them both ways when casting in pile work, shading more to the side that they turn to. In Hank's case that would have been more right backs than left backs. I think it's a little easier to get them to continue the way they were going than to make them change direction and spin into the direction they just came from.

I like to keep good habits going so I wouldn't receive the dog like you did after the first send. I figure if I get slack, the dog will too. I don't have them at a front finish very often like you did at the end, but that seems like a good way to receive them after water retrieves so you can take the bird, have them shake off, and then signal them to which side to heel to. That should keep us dryer. Anyone do it this way other than Aussie and Eug?

I don't want to come across as some retriever handling paragon, I make lots of mistakes. 'Course I don't usually own up to them. :p

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Howard, I did both but just to the one side on that portion of the video. He tends to have a loppy back cast to the left so I was working on a tight spin. You're right about the one finish. I was trying to keep from getting so wet. Yesterday I was soaked to the bone. I had forgot to put on my boots yesterday too.

On the front finish, I was practicing the back cast into the water, both ways, beside trying not to get so wet.

I always appreciate your comments Howard. When are you going to post a video?

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Howard, I did both but just to the one side on that portion of the video. He tends to have a loppy back cast to the left so I was working on a tight spin. You're right about the one finish. I was trying to keep from getting so wet. Yesterday I was soaked to the bone. I had forgot to put on my boots yesterday too.

On the front finish, I was practicing the back cast into the water, both ways, beside trying not to get so wet.

I always appreciate your comments Howard. When are you going to post a video?
:mrgreen: We want Howard. We want Howard. We want Howard...We want Howard....:cool:

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Wayne always appreciate your videos. Right there with my Chiefy. We had to stop training water b/c temps plummeted to 32 F not water training weather.:( Hank looks real good. He's listening! Turns good and watches you. Love watching his progress. Thanks again!!:)

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Howard. When are you going to post a video?
I'm dumber than a box of rocks. I don't know how to post a video to an internet host and I don't know how to then get it from there to the RTF. I'm not even sure my video camera would work to get video to the internet. :oops:

A week or so ago a few of us met to let my puppy and Linda Wiacek's littermate play around together for awhile (two little Juicers). I wanted to get some runby repetitions in with my older pup, so I worked from our TT parking lot. I thought the two women would stay behind me with the pups but they came right up. Mary Maxwell video'd some of it of it with her phone and put it on facebook. I was going to put that up here but can't. It was more fooling around than training but the dogs enjoyed themselves and I got a few successful runbys with distractions.

How do you post videos here?

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I'm dumber than a box of rocks. I don't know how to post a video to an internet host and I don't know how to then get it from there to the RTF. I'm not even sure my video camera would work to get video to the internet. :oops:

A week or so ago a few of us met to let my puppy and Linda Wiacek's littermate play around together for awhile (two little Juicers). I wanted to get some runby repetitions in with my older pup, so I worked from our TT parking lot. I thought the two women would stay behind me with the pups but they came right up. Mary Maxwell video'd some of it of it with her phone and put it on facebook. I was going to put that up here but can't. It was more fooling around than training but the dogs enjoyed themselves and I got a few successful runbys with distractions.

How do you post videos here?
I bet Mary could upload the video to youtube for you. Then you could just post the link.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put mine on photobucket then post the link. Generally, the camera comes with some software to down load to microsoft windows pictures. It would probably be best to get someone to show you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thats some nice work. Very well done Wayne.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts