RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hank completed basics last Saturday except we have to get to another pond to proof swimby. We are in a little lull in training now. Waiting on the ranchers to hay the fields so the grass will be short enough to start pattern blinds, etc.

Waiting on my pickup to get out of the shop so that I can tow my mule to remote sites for training. Waiting on rancher to let us have access because of previous wet conditions. These two things should resolve itself by the end of this week.

Besides marks in deep cover we are working on eight handed casting and wagon wheel.
Wagon wheel video is in my neighbors back yard. I need to get after him to cut the grass and get rid of those white round fuzzy weeds. Hank is doing good on wagon wheel but not perfect yet. Sending from both left and right sides and random selection of bumper. I had eight white bumpers out but after a close call on running into my camera tripod I had to steer clear of it.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Great video Wayne. Hank appears like he has got it! And two sided!:)Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
No heeling stick Wayne? I am a big fan of heeling sticks during wagon wheel to help steer the dog to get lined up. WW is a very powerful tool to build teamwork!

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was only his third session. Orange bumpers to be added in a few days.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The heeling stick is in my back pocket with my ecollar transmitter. It is a stealth stick.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hank sure is focused. I couldn't hear on the video...did you say HERE or HEEL to get Hank lined up at each bumper? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
The heeling stick is in my back pocket with my ecollar transmitter. It is a stealth stick.
It's a non-tool if not in hand:mad:, but looks like you're doing a good job with him!

How far away are your bumpers in the WW lining drill?

Evan

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Evan, That was a joke about the heeling stick. Stealth=invisible. My heeling stick was in my bucket off camera, not being used. I didn't measure the distance, I just hand threw the bumpers out there.

I don't want to get into the Lardy technique about this being a no-pressure drill again. It is the way I do it following in Lardy's footsteps.

Here=pull, heel=push regardless of which side the dog is on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts