RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was a fairly straight foreward water cheating single.

This one is more complex. I met my goal of him getting in the water before the tree on the right but in hindsight my standard was too lax. I was so concerned about the suction on the left that I misread the right side. I will fix this.

This is the pond we were working on. Some of you may remember this as the swimby pond last summer with the steps. The steps are right below the red SUV and are completely covered.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Just watched the first retrieve in the first video.

When I think of cheating singles, I think of those in the Lardy TRT DVD with much narrower channel with clean edges creating a clean picture. Get in and swim down the center of the channel. Increase the distance to water quickly enough to get a cheat. Stop and handle in, correct for a cast refusal.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I, too, would be interested in more explanation as I am working on this now with my pup.

The first one looks like you are teaching an angle entry.

In the second video it looks as if pup might be tempted to cut to the right and swim in, but also you are trying to keep him from running around the channel to the left?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not sure I see what you're going after here. Semi long entries without much cheat? The concept does not look very obvious to me. What are You teaching the dog here?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why not handle in the second vid? He cheated. The tree was never close to being in play from what I saw. Nice ponds by the way.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just reread your post about the second vid and how you didn't see the right bank playing as big of a factor as it did. Personally I would try and make it more black and white to the dog. How much cheating work has he had? Looks like he is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is Hanks first attempt at cheating singles. The first set up wasn't very good. My intent was to be further to the right, so he had to go more parallel to the bank. But you can see in the third video of the pond that the grass on the right edge is about 8' tall. I need to get out there with my weed eater.

Glenn, I agree with the Lardy approach on cheating singles. Did the best I could with the pond I had. I was really having trouble with the ATB placement with the wind gusting like crazy.

The intent of cheating singles is to run the dog from a distance into a narrow pond and give him the choice of going straight in the water or trying to avoid. If he tries to avoid, then handle him back on the line and into the water. This then makes him take a straight line into water in the future.

Did anyone see the rooster tail on the first entry?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Saw the rooster tail. Impressive water entry for sure.

I'm trying to learn here, not be critical. My question is bumper placement. Why not have those bumpers land on the far shore? The wind seemed to be blowing them to the middle of the pond thereby lessening the cheating factor.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Middle for ATB was desired. The goal is to get the dog to swim down the middle without attempting to get out of the water except at entry point.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hank has always had a big water entry but in this instance the wind caught the splash and made a big rooster tail.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Why not, in the 2nd video, move the line further to the left....closer to that narrow piece of water. Then have the bird thrown from left to right off that point? Then Hank would have a really good opportunity to cheat the left bank.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Stephen, You read my mind.

I use that narrow spit of water lots. With my older dog I run a blind from where the SUV is and get the dog to swim up that narrow inlet to a blind up on the bank about 50 yds then make him come back the same way.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There is a pond near me that has a piece of water exactly like that. Everyday I pass by it on the way to work and wonder to myself if my dog would stay in that little channel as it gets narrower and narrower. Unfortunately, it's beside a grocery store and fenced in.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This is what the pond looked like last summer. About 30 yds wide and 55 yds long. This would be much better for water cheating singles. It will dry up some this summer and get more narrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts