RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hank got a correction on this single for not going straight in the water. He gave me a quick stop but his butt was up. On the last whistle he got indirect pressure. While we were rasslin' at the bank the bumper drifted way to the left. On the way back I thought he was going to get out of the water at the point but he kept his feet wet. I was proud of him.

On the second send he did real well. You could see that he was thinking about drifting right but he went staight in when he got to the previous correction. I was proud of his effort today. He squared off the bank some on the return. I'm pondering this.

I know this is not the typical Lardy water cheating setup but I am working with the pond that I have.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not asking as criticism, I'm just curious what you and others think. Are you worried about clouding the lesson by issuing a correction for the cheat, then issuing another for the sit. I'm sure he knows what the sit correction was for, but he's still learning what the cheat correction was for. Am I thinking about this too much, or would it be prudent to get a good sit without having to correct with the e-collar (verbal correction, close distance before casting).

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The only nick was the indirect pressure on the sit whistle. There was no direct pressure on the cheat.

The reason I pondered the squaring the bank issue, is I am not sure at what point he lost sight of me. The grass at the bank at some point blocked his view of me. I am going to work on this with a clean bank.

I would appreciate any views on this.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Wayne I usually don't say a whole lot on here when it comes to suggestions but maybe walk closer to the bank so you know he sees you. However, even if he didn't see you, he knew where he entered the water....and therefore should've made an attempt to exit there instead of squaring. But, if he hasn't been doing this very long that is expected I would think. I like your videos...thanks!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Wayne I usually don't say a whole lot on here when it comes to suggestions but maybe walk closer to the bank so you know he sees you. However, even if he didn't see you, he knew where he entered the water....and therefore should've made an attempt to exit there instead of squaring. But, if he hasn't been doing this very long that is expected I would think. I like your videos...thanks!
I'm with Stephen. When you put your hand out left and whistled him in, he still landed right. That's the only thing I see to nit pick you on. ;)

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
whitefoot, If you were going to make an indirect correction for the water cheat what would have been the steps? What steps did Wayne take? Much difference?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'd love to run a blind from the opposite direction and have the dog clip the point. Especially with that kind of wind.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
whitefoot, If you were going to make an indirect correction for the water cheat what would have been the steps? What steps did Wayne take? Much difference?
I was traveling today, so I couldn't watch the video, but I read it as the dog got indirect pressure for the cheat, then another nick for the poor/slow sit.

But, now that I've seen it, I see that I misread the original post, and that Wayne was just describing the timing of the corection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts