RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads.

Paul Simon was a brilliant songwriter. “Slip Slidin’ Away” was a song I heard loop over and over as a kid in the family station wagon 8 track tape player

My dad had a milestone birthday a few months ago. I was playing his 1960 Martin and singing that song. Dad won that guitar in a poker game before I was born. As dad talked and fought to remember and make sense of what was happening and who I was, the lyrics finally made sense.

“The nearer your destination, the more you’re slip sliding away. “

I think it was Warren Zevon who said to David Letterman as he was dealing with his diagnosis, “ Enjoy every sandwich”

Last night two men, who make me proud that they are Atkinsons, took me to a rock concert. My best Father’s Day yet.

Paul Simon wrote:
“God only knows. When god makes his plan. The information’s unavailable to the mortal man.

We’re working our jobs. Collect our pay. We think we’re gliding down the highway. When in fact we’re slip sliding away.”

Happy Fathers Day To all. Life’s shorter every minute we’re alive. Tell the people you love that you love them.

Hell, I told Marc Healy I loved him last night!

Chris.

Smile Facial expression Sky Black Shorts

Face Snow Smile People in nature Freezing

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Chris, a great father's day indeed, rockin with the lads!

You and I have so many "loves" in common. These commonalities often make for great friends and acquaintances. But for you, DP and now I to be secure enough in our respective masculinity and politics to verbalize this last one........well, it's creeping me out a little!

HFDTA!

·
Registered
17,567 Posts
Can we get a group hug?

Hope you all had a good Father's Day!

I was busy being a D.A.H!

Reactions: Chris Atkinson

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Chris,
Thanks for the nice post! I too love Simon and Garfunkel.

I talked to all three of my kids yesterday and all six of my Grandkids. We spent Saturday with my oldest son and his family, had a great meal and planned details for an upcoming dove hunt. A good weekend and Father's Day for sure! As always, in the evening, I spent some quite-time remembering my father who we lost unexpectantly in 1995. He taught me how to be a good father, and later in life was my closest friend. I miss him every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts