RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 week old female lab loves to shake and chew anything she can get her little mouth on. I've been using the lip on her teeth to get her to let go of anything otherwise she wants to play tug of war. I'm a novice and don't know much about what is normal and what isn't. I've been using the Dokken but she chews that or any bumper with a rope she'll grab the rope and shake her head so hard I'd think her head was going to fall off. I don't even want to get near anymore wings(chews and shakes them and runs off) and much less real birds in fear that she'll learn to love eating them or tearing them apart.
Is this just her puppy-ness or how should I try to work on it? Hillmann doesn't seem to address this issue in the puppy DVD? Any tips or advice would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This sounds totally normal for any puppy. My guess, is that your pup is teething. The normal range to lose those baby teeth, is the 3-7 mos. range. Chewing and biting relieves the pain and pressure that they feel during the teething process. The best way to combat this, is to make sure that anything you don't want chewed up is picked up and put away, and make sure you provide her with lots of safe things she can chew on, like Nylabones, or Kong toys (which you can put treats and peanut butter in.

Rolling her lip over her teeth will probably work well if she's biting you, if you combine it with teaching her a command like "gentle" so she has some idea what behavior you do expect from her. In order to get her to release a forbidden item though, it might be easier to exchange it for an item she can chew for now. Teething is a tough process, and the pup really does have a need to chew.

In my experience, the intense chewing and shaking of the head and such seems to disappear when the baby teeth are gone and the adult teeth are in. They still love to chew...but not so intensely after the process is over.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Great. Your puppy has a high value to carry and possess her reward.

Work on recall without a retrieve. reward with treats. short distances.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same boat here. I'm happy my dog is so mouthy and loves to carry things. My issue is that when I introduced her to a fresh teal, she lock jawed so hard on that thing it would take the jaws of life to get her to open her mouth. Normal? (she is teething).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am training my first dog and my pup did the same exact thing. He locked so tight on the first bird he got to put in his mouth I thought I was going to throw up I was so worried about it. He even growled and snapped at me when I tried to get it from him. He didn't get another duck until almost 2 weeks ago. We are about 1 month into FF now and he is 10 months old and I haven't seen a hint of that behavior with any birds. He is wanting to mouth anything with feathers (we are working on that) but he always gives it up when I give him the command.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts