RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we had the positively positive rant thread, I was wondering if anyone has read the book Positive Gun Dogs by Barry, Emmen and Smith. I have had it for awhile but after the discusion I open it and starting reading it. It is interesting but I am only part way through page 60?? Any comments!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes, I corresponded with Jim when he was putting it together; he wanted some pics but I was unable to come up with the goods.

The first thing to be said is that his introduction to Operant Conditioning is the best I've seen for those not familiar with the subject; reasonably simple, clear and not over wordy. Again his description of clicker and the concepts within it are excellent. It's for those reasons I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn something of both subjects.

Eug

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have it and have read it and re-read parts of it from time to time. It is a useful reference. The OC stuff is good, although I think Dennis' sticky thread makes a lot of it even more clear, at least for me. I don't think that even if one were to decide to train a retriever using the clicker that the book is a complete enough program to get you there, but it is an excellent addition to any dog training library.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree with Doublehaul. A good source, but definitely not a complete one. Just got my copy a couple of months ago and am re-reading the first three or four chapters to really cement-in the concepts of Operant conditioning and the advice on record keeping while training.

Upon second reading, I find it interesting how both clicker training and collar training require the same backbone in that it's so important to keep lessons easy for the dog and build criteria incrementally. If the training session is falling apart and you're getting frustrated, which of these problems is at fault: set the criteria too high because you moved on too quickly, timing- is your timing for the punishment or reinforcement off,motivation - have you found the right motivator for the dog? These are the universal questions and answers to any training breakdown.

A good book! But it definitely doesn't go into much detail about actual advanced field training. They pretty much refer you to Lardy or any other program and tell you to modify those lessons to clicker training.

Jennifer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts