RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not planning on it but had more than one person suggest it. Has anyone bred a lean Mac daughter to a lean Mac son? Half brother to half sister. Both parents being clear of everything. Would you take a chance on a pup like this or is it TOO close?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My Maxx is from a Lean Mac son to a Lean Mac daughter.He has always been a hand full to say the least. Going strong at 11 yo.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually thinking I might get beat up over this thread but have had a handful of PM's already telling me if I did do it they would be interested so I guess it can't bee too bad.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
2 x CNFC Bigguns's Big Chill is Chavez (Maxx son) bred to a Waldorf Hightech daughter.Waldorf Hightech was Maxx's sire.So very similar to what you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
It's a fast way of finding out what recessive traits your female dog may produce. I wouldn't ever do it this type of breeding because of some of the other traits I don't like related to line-bred Lean Mac and dogs sired by Lean-Mac I've previously owned (nothing to take away from field trial performance potential). Yeah, I know I am in the minority.. not reluctant to admit it...

I would suggest on any tight line breeding that both sire/dam are OFA elbows, RD/OSD tested by OptiGen (not just CERF), OFA Good\Excellent hips, and neither had torn CCL requiring TPLO younger than two years of age, EIC\CNM tested

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Had a friend that did a Lean Mac great granddaughter back to Lean Mac, they didn't turn out. When dealing with LM It's all about balance.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both excellent hips and elbows done. Eyes just cerf. Neither have had any surgeries or true injuries but again this isn't for a breeding, was just a question I was curious about.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
When LeanMac pups came on the scene there were enough that had a lot of go but spun their wheels and didn't focus. Any pro at that time knows what I am talking about because many got washed. Just because the parents aren't like that, doesn't mean you won't get a litter like that. All those that want them better figure out if they know what to do with them if they are bred that tight.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
When LeanMac pups came on the scene there were enough that had a lot of go but spun their wheels and didn't focus. Any pro at that time knows what I am talking about because many got washed. Just because the parents aren't like that, doesn't mean you won't get a litter like that. All those that want them better figure out if they know what to do with them if they are bred that tight.
The same could be said of those who in their breedings have doubled up on Cosmo up close... "all those who want them better figure out if they know what to do with them".

I have said elsewhere, a little bit of Cosmo goes a long way. I look for him in pedigrees, but I prefer him back in the pedigree and only once. I have a Carbon daughter so Cosmo was her grandfather. Carbon was nothing like Cosmo.

My 2-cents,
Helen

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
FWIW, I bred my Cruise daughter to Low Country Drake a couple of years ago and really liked the results. Not as tight as you are talking about, of course, and probably as tight as I'm willing to go.
To clarify for those who aren't pedigree nerds like me, Cruise was from the same breeding that produced Patton, Ford, Keila, etc, so my girl is a Maxx grand-daughter. Drake is a Maxx son.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts