RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my back at the fire station and had a spinal fusion from L4-L5,L5-L6 and a lamenectomy from L2 down. They did what's called a 360 fusion so I have a 6in scar on stomach and two 6in scars along both sides of my spine. I had my surgery end of October so I just hit the 4 mo mark. I was doing super good and was moving right along and my neuro surgeon said I was his first ever patient in 20 years that walked into his office one week after surgery without any assistance and could get up out of a chair and go up and down stairs like I never had surgery. Again everything was good then all of a sudden I started having ALOT of pain and found out my disc above my fusion has herniated pretty bad and having to have another fusion to go up another level. It's depressing to think about going thru that 7-8 hour surgery and be in hosp for 5 days. Has anyone else ever dealt with this?I have been doing hardware injection blocks. Ur it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I had a lower lumbar fusion in Sept. they took out the discs between L4-L5 and L5-L6 and then put in bullet cages in place of the discs, 3 bolts and 1 long rod. they told me to get up and walk the next day- I have had some pain especially after sitting for long periods of time, I am turning 27 and was in decent shape but I was told not to run any more and I hate- Hate indoor exercise machines ie tread climers and elipticals they told me no more running as it can mess my back up pretty bad- either way good luck I would not want to do mine again either sitting around for 2 weeks after surgery was a killer for me but still the pain is much less than it was before

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your going through this I couldn't imagine going through one surgery much less two. I wish you the best of luck with it.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean L5-S1? You don't have a L6. I know what you meant though. Mornings suck but once I move around for a lil bit I do pretty well.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
You mean L5-S1? You don't have a L6. I know what you meant though. Mornings suck but once I move around for a lil bit I do pretty well.
Trevor
I have an L-6 as do many others. An extra lumbar vertebrata is genetic and not uncommon. The way I see is that I am just lucky enough to have an extra disc to screw up. I have had surgery at 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6. I have not had a problem other than what I consider normal back pain for seven years, but now it is growing worse. My surgeon told me Friday the only remedy is a three level fusion and that I should hold out as long as I can. I am guessing with as bad as your back was they had not other option than the fusion.
Justin, I am interested in what you say. I have had three neuro surgeons tell me NOT to have a fusion until I could no longer stand it and that it is a 4 to 6 month recovery time. Seems like you have done pretty well. Then again 27 is a lot different than 47 I guess.
Good luck to both of you

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am 39 years old and played college football for 4 years and have a heavy muscular frame which can lead to problems later in life. I was moving a gun safe for a friend in the spring of 2004 when my problems started. I was diagnosed with bulging discs between L3-L4 and L4-L5. I also have degenerative discs throughout my back. I was a good candidate for physical therapy which lasted until June 2004. In July 2004 I started have additional pain (sciatic nerve) and went back to the doctor and learned that one of the bulging discs had ruptured. I had surgery (discectomy) in September 2004 to repair the ruptured disc. Like you, I was able to stand up pain free after the surgery and walk out of the hospital 2 days later. After 2 months of recovery (light duty and rest), I was able to return to work at full duty. I primarily take about 800mg of Advil if pain flairs up and it usually subsides after 1-2 days.

In January 2010, I was moving some office equipment and noticed some numbness in my arm and shoulder. Because of the degenerative disc, this time I had damaged the disc at C3-C4. After trying several anti-inflammatory and pain medicines, I decided to have some injections in my neck. I was very hesitant but it turned out to be the best move. I had a 24 hour recovery and have only had minor recurrences since. I don’t remember the medicine used in the injection, but it was not cortisone. I could go back after 30 days for additional injections but have not needed to yet.

I have been very lucky with my problems but expect that as I get older other issues will probably pop up. Good luck with your recovery, it takes time.

Ed Myers

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I had a microdiscetomy(sp) about 9 yrs ago. Lasted about 4 weeks then the pain started again. I went to a different dr and they did an MRI and said the disc that was trimmed ruptured again and the one above it went also,plus i had a bone spur hitting the nerve. I need a 2 level fusion. Didn't do it and that was about 3 yrs ago and I'm still going without the surgery, I'll only do it if it gets unbearable again. Still hurts pretty bad sometimes but doesn't slow me down to much. I hope you get well soon,I know it sucks.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
I have Trevor,
Way down low. Scar is right at my belt line. Ruptured disk. Put up with it forever because the symptoms were so shifty. Terrible pain, then nothing. Numbness and tingling down one leg. Then the other leg the next day. Then pain free the day after. Straw that broke the camels back was working our AKC hunt test one day. Judge Warren P. wanted a dangerous tree cut out of his water test. So I tossed my canoe into the water alone. Paddled out and removed the tree, paddled back and tossed my canoe back onto my truck and laid in the shade under a tree and hoped I would die soon. Tried Chiropractic care first. He was/is a cool feller who finally told me he could not fix me. Got an appointment and referral from my primary care physician with "THE" Back Surgeon in Vermont. She normally has at least a 4 week waiting list in-between the first time you see her and when She can actually slice you open. She examined me on a Monday, and was inside my back two days later Wednesday Morning. Said I was one cough or sneeze away from paralyzing myself. When my disk ruptured a wee small floater piece was swishing around pushing on one nerve one day and the other side the next. Hardest thing was the follow up PT or as I grew to call them the stupid human tricks. Over all a life changing event. Sounds like you are able to deal with the mind numbing repeated ness of the PT. I say go for the 2nd slice. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My father has had so many back surgery's that they should have just put zippers in the front and back on him. After numerous surgery's to clean up bone chips, spurs and trimming disks, things got bad enough that they first did a fuse of the L3 and L4. About 5 years after that they fused L5 to the tailbone. He's now looking to have a procedure done that is a horseshoe shaped piece of titanium that is screwed onto L1 and L2 which acts like a spring keeping the vertebre aligned and spaced without having a disk in their either. His mobility today is pretty minimal and when he does try to go for it, he's laid up for a couple of days at a time in pain.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah that is right L5 S1 it was late

·
Registered
680 Posts
fowl hunter,

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Whelped a litter of puppies on 1/10/2000. Back went out on 1/17/2000 (unrelated to the pups, but a way I remember the date). Went under the knife on 2/1/2000, just two weeks after I went down.

Had a microdicsectomy at L3-4. Neuro-surgeon said it was the biggest chunk of disc material he had removed with that method. I walked out of the hospital the next morning. Six weeks later I was hand-planting tree seedlings by the hundreds (I'm a forester).

Twelve years later I have yet to have a serious recurrence (Praise God!). I do a lot of walking in my profession which seems to be the best therapy. I also have a personal trainer and lift weights (Super-Slow method) nearly every week. The weight training would seem to be counterintuitive, but a strong core helps to support the spinal column. Also, properly designed weight training equipment and a good trainer who understands my limitation and insists on proper techinque has kept me from hurting myself while lifting. It helps that I'm slim and don't have excess weight to support.

My advice is to move at a slow-moderate pace often, stay fit, be lean, and most importantly remember this: You Are Not a Forklift!

Swack

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to herniate above or below a fusion level. Some surgeons even go higher or lower by a disc or two to avoid the occurrence. When you have a weak spine you just have a weak spine. Just get yourself mentally in gear, and "just do it" as Nike says....

You'll be up in no time. May not be as bad as the first if they don't have to do the 2-stage approach...

Therapists are wonderful people regards-

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
My back was plenty strong a few years ago but lack of weight lifting and muscle atrophy has caused me more back pain.
YOu are correct that strong muscles will support and protect a weak spine, but sooner or later, the weak spine will get you.... hopefully later, but that just wasn't in your cards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I was14 (1968) I has 10 vertebrae fuse fromL3 up due to scoliosis. 6 months in body cast then 3 mos in walking cast. No problems since (44 years).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts