RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever encountered a particular training issue with a dog in which you just say "If I read another thousand articles, and talk to yet another thousand other trainers, and pay for professional consultations, I will never get this dog out of this problem"?

Just curious to see if anyone else has felt this way and the stories.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yupp,

Bought a trained but inexperienced Springer bitch more as a seasons fill-in than anything, between an older dog ready to retire and small puppies.

As a walking up, questing and flushing dog she was excellent, steady to flush and fall, biddable, and retrieved nicely, handled at distance. Good in the pigeon hide and roost shooting, fair little performer duck shooting at night. All in all, I was delighted with her.

The following season I took her on driven shoots as a picker-up, where the excitement got to her and she developed a squeak that rapidly got worse and turned into frantic unsteadiness. Totally incurable with what I knew then and still would be today. She went to my nephew as a pet.

Eug

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Had a dog that would not honor on water. He never broke on his own birds, land or water, nor honoring on land. He would go on the first bird down usually crossing in front of the working dog.
In his mind he owned water!
He was well known for this problem, if we had a honor on water I was usually asked to run last so he would break on the by-dog.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Had a dog that made it to the Q level. Could do all the work. On the days he went with me to the line
he would sing if the action was too slow. & then there were the days he wanted to be at the line to
scope things out as I was leaving the blind. Finally sold him for a gundog, The new owner thought
him to be great as he would do a lot of things.

That included establishing with the new owner's old dog who was boss which he was not allowed to
do at our house & disintegrating a new water feature his wife put in the back yard. Leave it birds &
under the arc's were his piece of cake. I think probably trained too much by myself.

As my friend Lanse said "You don't have enough clout to get away with running that dog." Though he
did get a couple of greenies in the Q.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had one out of Quick she had so much desire it overrode her brain , a constant breaker. Instead of breaking her spirit she became nothing more than a house dog . Yes we did try and the crop , rope and collars (yes collars ) had no affect on her but she was a great and loving house dog.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Vividly recall the day the wife took the transmitter away my then friend and said your not burning that dog anymore / get in your truck and get off the property
There’s not many options after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts