RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the Judges Award of Merit.But,
Please explain the significance,if my understanding is correct, a JAM goes to a dog that hasn't placed in the event.
It's the next best thing to placing in an event?
Points?
Noticed they are recognized and noted for most events.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Jams will typically be awarded to dogs that successfully complete the final series but were not strong enough to place. No points.

·
Registered
412 Posts
But a RJ is (above) a Jam correct?
yes, if a dog that placed was disqualified, each lower placed dog would move up, EX: Third place was DQ, Fourth would move up to Third and R.Jam would move up to Fourth.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
But a RJ is (above) a Jam correct?
Yea, it was the best of the Jams. :wink:

I tell non-retriever people that I got 5th place when I get a Res Jam; and tied for 6th when I got a Jam. It makes it sound better and is a little easier for them to understand.

Often there's not much difference between a placement and a Jam in the overall work.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Also if the JAM is earned from an All-Age stake (Open or Amateur) it makes the dog QAA (qualified all-age) which is not a title but a designation.

A JAM also in an All-Age stake helps a person who has not judged get closer to meeting the relatively new requirements to becoming a judge.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yea, it was the best of the Jams. :wink:

I tell non-retriever people that I got 5th place when I get a Res Jam; and tied for 6th when I got a Jam. It makes it sound better and is a little easier for them to understand.

Often there's not much difference between a placement and a Jam in the overall work.

Same here ,The 2 times I've been able to brag thats how I explained it to non retriever people,I was just confirming I had the RJ order right.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Some folks scoff and don't even bother to take their greenies home.

Some of us hang 'em on the wall. :cool:

JS

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Is there a cut off for Jams? like a certin # per entrys running?
No. Some judges give more than others. Base it on the work ... if there were going to be another series, would you get called back?

Do what Doug says (post #6). :D

JS

·
Registered
716 Posts
Also if the JAM is earned from an All-Age stake (Open or Amateur) it makes the dog QAA (qualified all-age) which is not a title but a designation.

A JAM also in an All-Age stake helps a person who has not judged get closer to meeting the relatively new requirements to becoming a judge.
Not trying to nit pick but I don't believe a jam in an amateur qualifies a dog all age? I think it needs to be a placement? Correct me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Not trying to nit pick but I don't believe a jam in an amateur qualifies a dog all age? I think it needs to be a placement? Correct me if I am wrong?
OK, consider yourself corrected. :D

Kinda.

To qualify for Limited & Special, a JAM will do.

For Restricted, you need a placement.

JS

Edit: Anyone can run an Open.

·
Registered
716 Posts
OK, consider yourself corrected. :D

Kinda.

To qualify for Limited & Special, a JAM will do.

For Restricted, you need a placement.

JS

Edit: Anyone can run an Open.
I stand corrected:) a dog is still eligible to run the qualifying stake if they jam an amateur, if they jam an open they are not eligible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts