RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a hunt test this past weekend I noticed a lady had put hay in the dog box. I have seen people use cedar chips. Are there any pros or cons for use either?

Thanks in advance.

NNK

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Timothy hay is the best, fed to race horses so is not sprayed.

Cedar can affect dogs with allergies, from experience.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cedar on the bottom and hay on top, dogs eat more than I though possible.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Not a big fan of hay for the reasons mentioned above by JChristian.

Straw ... meh. It's often provided in "Guest" kennels in shooting hotels and is inevitably damp and cold having been used for X weeks by previous occupants. In your own set up it's kinda all right.

For day in, day out practicality, de-dusted wood shavings as used for equestrian purposes served The Boys well. Very cosy and comforting, dried wet and muddy dogs in a twinkling, cheap enough, and could be easily disposed of on the garden bonfire.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Straw over cedar chips. It's amazing how clean and dry dogs will be after time in the box. We had setters for years and they would go from a muddy mess to dry and white when they got out. You do have to change the straw.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
At a hunt test this past weekend I noticed a lady had put hay in the dog box. I have seen people use cedar chips. Are there any pros or cons for use either?

Thanks in advance.

NNK
If the dog box was in the inside of the truck ,I can't see any reason why any bedding is required .If the dog is wet , dry it off.!! If the dog box is a trailer, ..same ,as long as vent and draught is right. In summer months , the same applies.
Col Blimp, Your fire may annoy the neighbor depending on wind direction and not very 'carbon footprintlike' , but bridgebuilding on name quotes gets you green shield stamps. At a Hunt test ,even ones that require overnight travel in a dog box , any bedding of any material that has a damp dog will have damp bedding summer or winter .
12v hair dryer is good , but with my bald head , I use the wife's.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I always bought marsh hay and mixed with cedar chips on the bottom. Softer and I Heard less critters than straw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts